March 24, 2013

[Review] G.NA - Oops (feat. Ilhoon)


Vocals: 8 / 10
This song is cute and timely with the season change, yeah, but I can’t help but make comparisons to “I’ll Back Off So You Can Live” (which I consider her best piece yet). Everything else since then has been lackluster; at the very least G.NA could do with a better showing of vocals. So for what it’s worth, she eases in to this type of song well but it’s much too aegyo-cutesy for me to really enjoy it. G.NA in many ways draw parallels to Girls’ Generation’s Sunny where they can sound excellent in medium paced songs but mediocre in cute songs.
Appearance: 6 / 10
When I saw the teaser, I thought “Oh God please no that wig is awful”. So you could imagine I was pleasantly surprised to see G.NA sporting the long hair once the music video started. You could then also imagine how I cringed in horror halfway through when the wig showed up for the first time. Good grief it’s hideous. Not because of the colour so much, but because of the short cut. G.NA cannot do short hairstyles and this is a pretty good example why. It just frames her face too awkwardly. Five out of five for the non-wig parts, a meager one out of five for everything after.
Dance: 7 / 10
G.NA has never been known for any intense choreographies, and this song is no exception. In fact, it’s probably the most boring out of many dances in a while. To sum up the entire dance, it’s hip movement and not a whole lot else. G.NA is mainly a vocalist to begin with, so there aren’t too many expectations but even stuff like Ailee’s “I Will Show You” was far more interesting than this.
Rap: 7 / 10
If Sistar19 should have been Sistar feat. Bora instead of Sistar19, this should certainly be G.NA & Ilhoon instead of G.NA feat. Ilhoon. He’s got a lot of lines, basically the verses, and exchanges for the prechorus are all Ilhoon. But…I’m not sold on his voice. It’s not bad, like I can listen to the whole song without problem, but he always sounds out of breath. I’ve yet to listen to anything from BTOB so I’m a little concerned about the rapping for their music.
Music Video: 8 / 10
This music video actually has a plot…sort of. G.NA wakes up, leaves, and parties. That in and of itself earns more points since other music video’s are so damn boring. That aside, there are still godawful blank rooms and the aforementioned wig. Ilhoon was also used rather awkwardly, and I prefer having collaborators actually be together for videos (think Taeyang’s “I Need A Girl”), but I figure it’d be rather difficult given the extent of Ilhoon’s lines. There is nothing extraordinary in this MV, but the previously mentioned points work for it.
~
Overall: 74 / 100
I want to like this song. I really do. G.NA’s voice is pretty underrated but this song is an example why: too much cute sound and aegyo really hurt and hide her vocal ability. Combined with a mediocre rap, and a boring dance, it’s quickly drowned out by some other recent releases. I’ll be content once G.NA goes back to her debut days of “I’ll Back Off So You Can Live”.

No comments:

Post a Comment