November 3, 2014

[Misc] Bias Power Rankings

So, I've more or less decided to shift over the Blogspot for the time being. It's both more convenient and geared towards what I want for my blog and at the same time, it's something new and fresh for me to learn some stuff on the side. Anyway, before I port all of my old reviews over from Tumblr (for archive sake), I figured I'd write up some articles to serve as more of an introduction and be fun little extras. For today, we're going to go over my biases. I've never actually compiled an order of my "waifus" so this will be an interesting challenge.

Should I even explain how I pick my biases? I just like them, heh. Of course appearance / eye candy / fanservice plays a role, but I am someone that loves vocals so most of the girls on the list will be good singers. I'm not someone that dives into much of the entertainment and variety world outside of Running Man but I do pay some attention through sites and Youtube and such. Anyway, here's the ranking.

10. Jaekyung
Underrated Jaekyung of underrated Rainbow starts off at #10. Jaekyung is a solid vocalist that's unfortunately in a group that's been mediocre for a while. Rainbow Blaxx had some good songs but Rainbow is still struggling to find the success like KARA. Anyway, Jaekyung's true strength is how reliably ridiculously attractive she is. That sounds a little strange, but I think she's consistently a top 3 visual, as her plethora of selcas on Instagram will show. This girl simply cannot look bad, perhaps outside of derpface.

9. Juniel
Juniel is an absolute sweetheart and is one of few soloists on the Power Ranking. This lovable singer has a beautifully soft voice and has excellent acoustic versions of her music, too. In addition, she is probably the only girl on this list that is just genuinely (naturally?) cute, as her voice (speaking and singing) is just very sweet and I'm not that bothered by it like I am with other cute aegyo voices. Some call Juniel a "IU clone" but she knows what she's good at and that's perfect.

8. Kyungri
Kyungri is hot. But let's be honest, who in 9MUSES isn't super attractive by default? The group could've easily been 9MODELS and no one would give that a second thought. Anyway, with Sera out of the picture (sadness), Kyungri will be the group's go-to vocalist when they make their comeback... Please have a comeback soon. Kyungri would be much higher on the list if her group was more stable. Seriously, I had some serious faith in 9MUSES last year after releases like "Wild" and "Gun" but member departures leave much to be desired.

7. Sojin
Back when I first jumped into Girl's Day with "Expectation," Sojin immediately stood out to me in both vocals (I liked her much more than Minah at the time) and appearance. You can imagine the shock when I found out she was 28. Still, she seems to be right at home with Girl's Day and I still think her voice is on average better than Minah's. Part of me is pained because Queen Victoria of f(x) is quite similar in a few ways but doesn't make the list, but Sojin definitely earned her spot here.

6. Suzy
The Nation's First Love was certainly my first love out of Miss A, even though everyone from that group is lovable and her "Bad Girl, Good Girl" look was...questionable at best. She's matured since then, and so has her voice, which used to be the weakest of the group. Now, she and Miss A sound incredibly in sync with each other and her presence in the acting, variety, and CF world is no joke either. Secretly, I think Sojin should outrank Suzy but because of seniority (Suzy had a 3 year headstart) Suzy snags #6.

5. Bora
Sistar's rapper isn't half bad, as referenced in my Girl Group Rapper Power Rankings. Part of Bora's charm is that she is a fierce no-nonsense girl on stage, and a bubbly energetic angel off the stage. Her athleticism is strong and she just unf. She's probably massively underweight but she makes that look healthy all the same. So far only she and Jaekyung's body size don't make me cringe if I think about their potential diet and such. Bora may be the weakest singer on the list but that's to be expected since she's a rapper, and would be horribly overshadowed by Hyorin and Soyu anyway.

4. Minzy
To be completely honest, Minzy is the only girl I really like from 2NE1 (now). She's more than a competent vocalist, a disgustingly good dancer and has enough rapping power to be in a subunit with CL. Minzy can flip from being adorable to eroMinzy in a heartbeat, and she can pull off both ends of the spectrum well, something most of the other girls on this ranking struggle with (in my eyes). She is incredibly balanced and well-rounded, to be expected of someone who was on my original bias lists back when I first started getting into Kpop.

3. Soyu
Sistar is the only group to have 2 members on this list. That's Sistar power for you. Anyway, Soyu is still underutilized by the group, although side projects and collaborations really bring out her strengths. She's an amazingly soft singer who spends her free time getting jacked. That's crazy. When she appeared on Running Man she was just...awesome. Sassy and competitive and everything. Soyu is just awesome. Sistar is continually going to climb the girl group ladder and that might mean Soyu could challenge the top 2 slots on my list. But...

2. Taeyeon
There's no denying that Girls' Generation was my first girl group crush, and that Taeyeon was my favourite member. The Kid Leader is adorkable (and the only girl I will ever use that word to describe), beautiful, and has an almost mesmerizing voice. Whether it's in OST work or Soshi songs, I'm always blown away by her voice. Out of all the placements on this Power Ranking, the top 2 were the ones I was 100% sure of. There was no changing this vote, and the power of Girls' Generation in their prime continues to show strength to this day.

1. Younha
Younha reigns supreme as the #1 KPop girl in my heart. Younha has always had this pure, mature look even in her younger days and it's been attractive ever since. Her voice is extremely versatile, and is hands down the best singer on this list. "Hero" and her Someday album completely hooked me when I was first introduced, and she has been killing it ever since. Speaking of, Younha outranks everyone in terms of seniority. While I didn't fully "get" into KPop until 2009, I had a taste of Younha many months before with her Japanese work "Houki Boshi" and "Ima Ga Daisuki." I'd seriously make efforts to see this girl outside of just music and I'd absolutely love it if she got to guest on a future Running Man episode.

Honorable Mentions
Hyejeong, Sohee, Eunji, Victoria, Erin
This was fun! Maybe I'll have updated versions of the Power Ranking as time goes by and my biases change, and this has definitely sparked my drive to write a Girl Group Power Rankings, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment