June 17, 2015

[Review] Big Bang - Bang Bang Bang

Rolling along with the Big Bang comeback(s), we have "Bang Bang Bang" and "We Like 2 Party." "Loser" was solid while "Bae Bae" was weird and left fans craving for the crazy Big Bang a la "Fantastic Baby." "Bang Bang Bang" seemed like the song to prove it, but will the song hold up?

We're off to a damn good start. The instrumental is electrifying and that chant is definitely the sound of a party. Taeyang's got the groove on with the backup dancers and everything is looking really good for this song. T.O.P follows up rapping to...himself? Cowboy vs. astronaut but the astronaut doesn't really stand a chance. He didn't even get to retort and gets rapped into submission. Seungri continues the hype leading a pack of zombies with shoulder pads. The witty(?) use of lyrics goes into the chorus which...

...is the least exciting thing ever. Like Christ I was ready to wash away my doubts of this comeback because the opening 60 seconds of "Bang Bang Bang" was close to perfect if not that. But this chorus is so extremely weak that I'm ashamed to even call it a chorus. It's not good enough for a dance break and certainly not good enough for the buildup. This song really deserved a good chorus and Big Bang did not deliver. Even the non-"bang bang bang" lyrics are highly disappointing. We dive into the 2nd verse with Daesung and again, there's good energy and build up here. Daesung, where have your eyes gone? They've been missing for the past few releases and I'm worried YG stole them or something. G-Dragon's rapping is full of punch and glitter, before going back to the pathetic excuse of a chorus.

The dubstep(?) bridge going into the final part of the song is sort of what I wanted the chorus to be. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the choruses by a long shot. Seriously, I'm so disappointed at the chorus. Big Bang would have had a near perfect score if the chorus wasn't utter garbage. My rage and disappointment aside, it's hard to like the song when everything about the chorus is so bad. I don't know which is worse, a song where the only good thing is the verses or a song where the only good thing is the chorus. A parallel song to "Bang Bang Bang" would be Hyuna's "Red" to a degree. The difference was that at least the chorus in "Red" kept up the energy. I'd have liked to rate this song higher than "Bae Bae" but I don't think I can. However, I won't look at the score of "Bae Bae" because I don't remember and see what happens when I do the Recap piece in August.

[ Overall: 75 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment