March 27, 2017

[Review] CNBLUE - Between Us (Blitz)

Welp I've already failed the whole "write one Blitz per week" strategy but that doesn't mean I'm giving up. Anyway here's CNBLUE's newest release "Between Us." Right away I'm loving the song thanks to the combination of powerful instruments and Yonghwa's voice. This energy and intensity continues throughout the whole song with little to no stopping which is great. I'm always a fan of songs that can maintain tempo from start to finish - having too many jump cuts creates a disjointed sound (and we all know how I feel about those). Yonghwa probably isn't underrated but I think he deserves far more credit than what he usually gets, especially with bands not being common. The final stretch of "Between Us" is all sorts of wonderful. Unfortunately I'm predicting the word count for this piece to be less than the Twice one because there isn't too many interesting things going on in the MV. The whole thing is paired with a lot of black / dark backgrounds which doesn't allow for too much excitement. Other than various shots of the band rocking out and members on flip phones (LOL) there really is nothing going on. I almost didn't recognize Jonghyun, but I'm going to attribute that more to not seeing these guys in a long time than a drastic makeover or style change. "Between Us" makes me realize how much I've missed CNBLUE, and how much hope I have for other bands to keep going strong.
Word Count: 246

No comments:

Post a Comment