March 13, 2017

[Review] TWICE - Knock Knock (Blitz)

I'm finally on break, though that shouldn't be an excuse (indeed isn't) for not having any new content lately. Don't trip, there is review stuff coming. ...hopefully. In the meantime I'm going to introduce this new subset of reviews called "Blitz(es)." Blitzes are essentially mini-reviews. Here are some guidelines I've made for myself regarding these reviews. First, they have to be started and completed in the same day. This prevents any procrastinating from lazy ol' me. Second, blitzes must alternate between boy and girl groups (or soloists) in order to further my desire to balance artist coverage on my blog. Third, they can only have a certain number of words - the whole point is for these to be bite-sized-ish. I haven't decided on the limit yet but we'll use the first few to test what I find comfortable or acceptable. These "restrictions" should allow me to write at least one Blitz a week, which means I'm at minimum going to write 3-4 pieces a month. Anyway here we go.

Honestly, writing about Twice as the #1 girl group back in December hurt my veteran heart a little. Still, there's no denying their power. "Knock Knock" is the same yet different take on their style that has brought them monumental success over their last few campaigns. The instrumental is bright and lively as the girls are in the MV, and especially forceful during the chorus (which is the best part of the song bar none). With that said, I feel this song lacks a little of that Twice magic that made "Cheer Up" and "TT" superstars. Maybe it's the chanting that's too much, or the excessive English words scattered around. I could also point to the overly child-like nature of the song, which is more evident here than in any previous release. The rap is extremely disappointing when I was hoping Chaeyoung could make leaps forward. Whatever it is, it's not working for me. "Knock Knock" is 3rd on their title track totem pole, and only above "Like Ooh-Ahh." On the bright side, the music video is all sorts of exciting: from the millions of outfit changes to the sweet connections to the "TT" MV, it's comforting to know that their MV game continues to be strong. The JYP cameo has to be one of the trolliest and also best things to happen in a music video in a long time. "Knock Knock" is a good effort that failed to impress in the end.

Word Count: 244

No comments:

Post a Comment