September 24, 2012

[Review] G-Dragon - Crayon

Vocals: 6 / 10
I think compared to “One Of A Kind”, there are even fewer lines which are being sung, so again there’s a matter of weighing this the same amount as the other categories, but this is marked low for one specific reason: the various filters that sort of autotune or muffle GD’s voice throughout the song are really irritating to my ears and severely hurts the overall pleasantry of the song. If it was just one sort of muffle that was consistent it wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s multiple. Had it not been for them, I could probably listen to the song on repeat but as it stands I can only listen to the rapping sequences whenever I load up the song.
Appearance: 8 / 10
Considering this is a sequence of appearances by G-Dragon in short succession, I can’t really elaborate too much (I mean I could, but it’d be stuff I said before). G-Dragon looks more or less the same compared to his appearance in “One Of A Kind” and “That XX”. I saw glimpses of Zelo with his hilarious / wacky facial expressions while he was in the bathroom, and from the haflway point of the song and onward the faces he makes are nothing short of extraordinary. Although I will comment on how people thought the girl in the TV scene was GD in a dress, but I don’t think it was since I’m pretty sure his arms are splattered with tattoos of various sorts.
Rap: 10 / 10
“If I were to rank Korea’s top five rappers, G-Dragon would easily be in the top three if not top two. With nearly every release, he continues to showcase his dominance and talent. This song in particular is a little weird since it’s got a slow intro that suddenly picks up into a blitz.” Does this sound familiar? Well it should, the rap style and sequence is a little like that of “One Of A Kind”, where the tempo is mostly slow but still rather erratic and unpredictable, but this is the style that G-Dragon excels in. If it worked for a previous song, it’s still going to work now. Excellent work all around.
Music Video: 10 / 10
Talk about an exciting music video. If you thought “One Of A Kind” was clever, this smashes that to the ground. G-Dragon has many many friends, and they’re all here to party and not lipsync very awkwardly. The sets get even more bizarre and the outfits more intriguing: being the DJ / person inside his crazed self, fighting / dancing in puffy sumo-esque suits, literally going insane on the dance floor, etc. The use of camera angles were also really nice and helped emphasize G-Dragon getting his “cray on.” Did you see the creepy / cheeky grin when the girl butts were shaking behind him? Extremely serious.
~
Overall: 85 / 100
In the end, I have given “Crayon” a handful of listens but I may just try to find a condensed version where it’s only the raps strung together. The autotune and muffles are really distracting and hurts the replay value of the song by so much. While I would say this is the weakest (use the term loosely) of the three releases thus far, it’s by no means a bad song and has some great rhymes and hilarious music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment