December 13, 2012

[Review] Son Dambi - Dripping Tears


Vocals: 8 / 10
Son Dambi has always had an underrated voice in my opinion. It’s not standout power vocalist but it’s perfect for songs like this and past hit “Crazy”. A very smooth and soothing voice, which is great for fast to medium tempo ballads. The only high notes are ones comfortably within her range and I really like the articulation on the main chorus “Tears are falling, rain is falling, love is falling”. Either her vocals could’ve been ramped up or the electric parts of the instrumental toned down since it seemed to overtake her voice at points. The piano background was excellent though.
Appearance: 7 / 10
I’ll be honest here, Son Dambi has never really impressed me with her looks. She looks really nice at some angles and at others her eyes really bug me. The best description is a sort of cross between Narsha, Jiyeon, and UEE. But please get rid of the blonde wig. I can’t recall if Son Dambi has gone blonde in the past but this specific style looks awful. Part of it is being too short for her, part of it being how it frames her face, but yeah a pretty huge nono. However, it does showcase a uniqueness along with the funky orange eyeliner. The appearance along with the setting really reminded me of Miryo’s “Dirty” but I’ll touch upon that later.
Dance: 8 / 10
For a video that was mainly enveloped in plot(?) the choreography was mainly at the beginning to middle of the song. Continuing on with the “classy but sexy” theme, Son Dambi shows off her curves and all that. I couldn’t take her seriously in the sequences with the blonde wig though, so I kinda laughed when those came up. Like I said, it’s not subtle in any way but definitely less “severe” compared to the choreography of “Crazy”. All in all I paid more attention to the other content of the MV than the dance.
Music Video: 9 / 10
This music video first struck out like a hybrid of SHINee’s “Juliette” and Miryo’s “Dirty”. More specifically, the hospital scenes where she’s laid out in the stretcher with a confused look on her face, wearing a funky hairstyle and eye makeup. Yeah that screams “Dirty” all over it. The drowning was different, though, and the backup dancers for that part had full on body suits. A little strange, but I can appreciate it. The ending is also completely random. How the heck did Son Dambi go from that hospital room out into the ocean? Beats me. Maybe there was a magical unicorn I missed in transition.
~
Overall: 82 / 100
Son Dambi’s vocals do a lot for this song, making it very pleasant on the ears. Everything else is just kinda there. The dancing is okay, the looks are okay, and the music video is okay. Bonus points for breaking the hell out of that chandelier though. Woman got muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment