July 10, 2013

[Review] Girl's Day - Female President


Vocals: 10 / 10
I love the high notes and energy that the chorus (I guess that is mainly a mixture of rapping and singing) provides. Unfortunately that’s really all there is to the vocals. Minah and Sojin doing excellent work, while Yura and Hyeri with support roles. Yura’s opening of the second verse is very good, too. Easily rivaling Sojin there. I’m going to have to rip a line off of AntiKpopFangirl in that the song “builds up but doesn’t quite reach a climax”. Oh and if the climax is the rapping, I rest my case (more on that later).
Appearance: 8 / 10
Okay. Here is what I liked about the looks: the pink outfits. Those were really nicely done, and even some of the other outfits (the blue ones notably) were really nice. However, that clear see-through-esque whatever-it-is that Yura had in her first solo appearance is…beyond words, and not in a good way. Sojin’s hair is iffy, it frames her face a little awkwardly, and unfortunately for me Hyeri has Jiyeon syndrome more than ever and it’s quite frightening, to be honest. Minah’s still got those killer eye smiles going and that’s a pleasant sight amongst the more mature image.
Dance: 4 / 10
A butt shaking dance? Really? This isn’t even a good butt shaking dance no less. The music video and angles were totally not awkward or casual at all. Leave the butt dances to KARA and Sistar, Girl’s Day, you need something different, something else. It’s just so…bad. Like with the rest of the song, it just seemed like everything was rushed so management said “Hey let’s just throw this dance on for kicks”.
Rap: 3 / 10
Ugh. I thought the rapping in “Expectation” was mediocre. This is…awful. It’s high pitched and all, kinda energetic but overall I wasn’t the biggest fan. The song could have been leaps and bounds better in my opinion if the rap was either shifted into Yura’s lower register or simply removed entirely. The high energy of the song would have done nicely by itself. But alas.
Music Video: 4 / 10
It’s a standard music video with the boxes, solos, and cars / cameras. God writing about stereotypical music videos is so freaking boring nowadays, what do I even do here. Just leave it barren, apparently.
~
Overall: 58 / 100
“Expectation” really drew me into Girl’s Day, but I certainly expected better than this. It’s very powerful and the vocals support that, but the sequence of rapping thrown in and some of the chanting just seems awkward and out of place, and ultimately sounds rushed as a whole song.

No comments:

Post a Comment