December 10, 2014

[Review] GOT7 - Stop Stop It

GOT7 made a flashy debut this year with "Girls Girls Girls" and their acrobatic dancing. Most were reminded of an early 2PM, myself included. What followed was "A," something more cutesy and innocent and here we're at "Stop Stop It."

I'll give credit where credit is due. Most of the GOT7 members have very clear voices, which is good when you're a vocally oriented group. What doesn't deserve credit though, is the grating autotune in the background at the beginning and chorus of the song. Holy crap that is disgusting to hear repeated over and over. "Stop Stop It" would have been far more tolerable without that junk. Even without the obnoxious autotune though, the song isn't particularly impressive. A routine method that works for what it's worth, but GOT7 is more dance and less vocals, so I'm not sure what I would expect for "good vocals" from this group.

The rap showing was pretty decent I suppose. I'd much prefer Jackson's appearance with Mark's voice. They sort of flip flop on that regard, as Jackson looks like the stronger rapper but Mark's voice is way better. Regardless, Mark is leagues ahead of Jackson and Bambam, which is funny since all of them aren't Koreans. It'd be interesting to see a scenario where Jr. and Mark are the main rappers, since I still think Jr's showing in "Bounce" was solid.

I'm not entirely sure I follow the MV, but I'll throw my signature "the MV has a plot of sorts and is therefore superior to box videos" all the same. That and it's also a copout to really dive into the elements of the video. The choreography, like the vocals, is also relatively tame, which is fine and all, but I much prefer the athletic and dynamic showings in their debut. What are those outfits though? Would have made more sense if they were wearing school uniforms or dress shirts.

I'm not that pleased with this release. On it's own, the song isn't that memorable and neither is the dance, which should ideally be this group's strongest aspect. The rapping is average but since everything else is weaker it stands out, so I suppose that's a plus. This song lacks the quality seen in "Girls Girls Girls" and certainly not to the standards from "Bounce."

[ Score: 70 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment