February 9, 2015

[Review] 4minute - Crazy

4minute is back and praise all that is holy because this comeback is truly 4minute. Last week they released "Cold Rain" which was a ballad / general teaser to the album I suppose, but while Jiyoon and Gayoon make "Cold Rain" an amazing song, the rest of 4minute can't really do ballads. Thankfully, "Crazy" is certainly just that: crazy.

Some logistics before getting started. The choice to have the video in black and white has strengths and weaknesses. Letting Jiyoon's green hair standout more is good, but I would've liked to see the other members utilize that, too (or backup dancers, even). However, for a song that's about being crazy (which the video definitely was in terms of transitions) I think a more bright and vivid palette would have helped exemplify the craziness. Having members' names on their snapbacks is nice I suppose, to help introduce newbies to 4minute, how thoughtful. Wait those weren't even snapbacks. Why didn't they use snapbacks? What was up with the effects on Gayoon at 1:45? Didn't seem like that really added anything to the video, made me more confused than anything. The instrumental was also rather messy at times, especially noticeable during Jihyun's part.

Anyway, onto the song. Hyuna's pronunciation of monster as "monSTAR" was clever if intentional, Hyuna as always been hit or miss with me, but she follows up on her performance in "Red" and stays strong and ferocious here. Sohyun's place in this song is much better than in "Cold Rain," serving as transition into Gayoon's absolutely powerful climb into the chorus. The chorus itself is rather repetitive and worms into your head, and it'll drive you crazy (pun intended). Jiyoon is everything she has been for 4minute, and her charisma, rapping power, and energy are on point. If you ask me, her rap was too short to really sell her skills, because I think she's constantly been underrated and underappreciated in 4minute (for obvious Hyuna-related reasons). Jihyun's effort in the last half of the song is rather weak. It was the only portion of the song that didn't sound like it belonged with the rest, and prior to her part I was getting worried if she'd have any lines at all, which I guess was planned ahead of time? Thankfully, Gayoon's carry vocals are so good I don't really think much about Jihyun. Hell, even Sohyun put in admirable work that I can overlook Jihyun.

When it comes to 4minute, I haven't seen anything of this caliber since the days of "I My Me Mine" which is still their best song. However, the craziness in "Crazy" is pretty much perfection. The pure ferocity and charisma from Hyuna and Jiyoon, the delightful power in Gayoon's vocals, and of course the nearly out of control eye candy in the choreography and video all come together for a very strong title.

[ Overall: 93 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment