January 12, 2016

[Review] Lucky J - No Love

Mixed group? Lucky J? Hip-hop? Sign me the hell up. The trio had been quiet ever since their official debut in 2014, mostly embarking on solo activities but I'm glad to see them back early in 2016. It's a shame the strings drive the instrumental and repeat those same 5 notes so much, because all I can think of is that iKON song "My Type." Since they're both being used as primary hooks it's an unfortunate result that this came after iKON, since I find this the better and more enjoyable song. If the release order was flipped, I'm sure I'd say the same thing about "My Type," though admittedly I thought the iKON song was just okay to begin with.

Say no to those bangs Jessi. Otherwise looking fabulous as always. Jessi continues to flex her might, having long proved herself on the rapping stage, her position on the team as a vocalist is great. Jessi has a very distinct voice for both rapping and singing. It's pretty awesome, honestly, though I wish they utilized her lower range more. I'm sure her versatility will be used as they release more music. Her and J-Yo's voices contrast and compliment each other so that is a pleasant combination. J-Yo's voice was made for this type of music, and would likely excel in R&B tracks, too. I'd imagine that for people unfamiliar with this group, his voice has the drawing power to reel in new fans. I don't know much about J'Kyun. The only memory I have is when he did a rendition of Big Bang's "Fantastic Baby" to showcase his inner fanboy of Sunny from Girl' Generation, haha. Nonetheless, he's more than capable as a rapper, but of course the inner vocalist in me means I'm more invested in Jessi and J-Yo's abilities.

Lucky J hit that delicate balance between rapping and singing. Because of that, it makes "No Love" extremely enjoyable in all aspects, even if you're more towards rapping or singing. You can bob your head along to this track all day every day. Each of the members are talented and they clearly work well together as a unit. If mixed groups could produce content like this all the time, there needs to be more. Lucky J can be the pioneer of a new set of groups, don't let their genius go to waste.

[ Overall: 83 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment