August 22, 2016

[Review] I.O.I - Whatta Man

I've been rooted in comfort lately, so let's change that. As someone who didn't watch Produce 101, I literally have no idea what's going on with this group. From what I understand, the trainees are part of a project group but other members have joined other groups like DIA, CLC, etc.? It's like Kpop's equivalent of the NFL Draft or something. Anyway, the subunit (which is also called I.O.I?) came out with a new song and so it's time to try and observe some new talent.
This may be some of the strongest harmonization we've heard that isn't from Mamamoo. They sound really really good, and I can always appreciate some vocal splendor. "Whatta Man" is not a cute song and therefore is free from splashes of aegyo or generally uninteresting stuff. What I like most about the chorus is that it's deceptively not repetitive, and that's more than likely due to the harmony work between the girls. Some of the reaches by Jeiqong do hurt, but overall there's very little about the music quality that I can complain about. The members all seem to be on par with each other in terms of their voice, and this song doesn't really distinguish any one member from the rest. Part of that is because of the line distribution, which is fairly well done and an underrated aspect of the song. The roster receives relatively balanced opportunities (outside of Sohye) but the diversity of one-liners in the chorus is a nice touch.
"Whatta Man" stumbles during the rap segments, however. I'm not convinced of either section as they seem to break the flow of the song without adding much, and the contributors aren't anything too exciting either. Yoojung is alright, but because of the strong vocals foundation I can't really dig her parts. There's also something to be said about all the presence other girl group rappers have made this year that water down Yoojung's ability in my ears. Still, she's made a worthwhile debut and certainly has potential, assuming she remains active once her time with I.O.I is over. Nayoung on the other hand failed to make an impression and her parts left much to be desired. Would have been better to leave them all for Yoojung to be honest.
Twice had a pseudo-flex part in "Cheer Up" but I.O.I go even further by mixing body waves with flexes. It's an interesting combination and definitely makes for a memorable moment in a choreography. Watching them flex their skinny arms provides a curious juxtaposition. Outside of the chorus though, are a handful of moves that are uncomfortable to watch and seem forced as hell. And aren't like more than half of them under 18? Doesn't seem like a smart business decision but whatever. The girls make an admirable effort all the same. With the various formation changes and the entertaining chorus, "Whatta Man" deserves a respectable score for the choreography.
The MV for "Whatta Man" is your classic "girl finds out guy is a bad boy and takes revenge" theme. The whole team is on board with payback and works towards that throughout the video. Carefully alternating scenes between those of the plot and those showing the choreography, there's nothing special about the MV but at the least it's engaging. Admittedly this sequence overall contradicts the lyrics of the chorus - in what world is that man a good man? But I assume they're speaking ironically as the rest of the MV pans out. I always enjoy the comic relief moments so Yoojung getting wrecked by the punching bag was great. Other than that, a slightly above grade video with the inclusion of the plot.
As far as first impressions go, I.O.I does come across strong with "Whatta Man." The vocals are powerful and complimented by the choreography and rap parts. Of course, there's also their previous releases like "Pick Me" and "Dream Girls," so it's difficult to determine what will come next from this group. In addition, I find it difficult to be invested in them when they aren't going to be an official group and disband in the future. Like, I don't think I'd like Black Pink all that much if YG announced they would only be promoting for half a year or something like that. Still, what matters is the present and "Whatta Man" is pleasant. That's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment