December 12, 2016

[Recap] 2016 September-December: Slowdown

Well, this has to be done before I get into other year-concluding pieces like "Best Of 2016" anyway, so might as well write it all out now. The last few months of this year didn't hesitate to punch us in the mouth, with various news from all angles: 2NE1 disbanding, Heejun getting married, Running Man shenanigans, etc. etc. Definitely got everyone spinning, and to think there's still over 15 days left before January. The possibilities seem dangerously endless.
4. Red Velvet - Russian Roulette (70)
3. Mamamoo - Decalcomanie (80)
2. Twice - TT (80)
1. Black Pink - Playing With Fire (88)

Wow. This is really embarrassing to even type up. It's most unfortunate to go from 20 songs to four in the last few months but that's what is to be expected since school does that to you. Not even going to both putting that in spoilers. At least I averaged one song a month...? I suppose the neat part is that I reviewed Red Velvet, Black Pink, and Twice, who will all be staples at the top of the girl group ladder for years to come.
In a classic mistake, I forgotten to write down what font I used for these recap banners because they're different than the ones I used for the reviews. With that aside, let's look at some of the most intriguing releases that I never got to review - because there sure are a whole bunch of them. Usually there are only four selections but since I missed so much I've thrown in a few more.
Big Bang - Fxxk It
Let's start with some recent ones. Big Bang has dropped a pair of songs prior to enlistment, and both are wonderful. The song and MV are true to the Big Bang name, and I dig the general rhythm of the song. Even though I like "Last Dance" way more, "Fxxk It" is more appropriate given this time of year / semester. Coincidentally, "fuck it" is also what the stylists said when brainstorm ideas of Taeyang's look for this comeback.
Ailee - Home (feat. Yoon Mirae)
Ailee is always a treat, man. "A New Empire" was a really good mini album, and joining up with the legendary Yoon Mirae for "Home" makes a fantastic title track. She sports both her delicate high notes and her charismatic low notes. At this point you can hardly go wrong with an Ailee release. Not to mention she looks amazing in the music video.
Ladies' Code - The Rain
There are a small selection of groups who have signature sounds. Infinite and Apink are the obvious examples, and now Ladies' Code is elevating themselves to that class. "The Rain" is an extension of "Galaxy," though the more upbeat tempo of "The Rain" makes it a more enjoyable listen in my ears. Sojung continues to work her magic and I think she's really found a style that she can excel at. The cinematography and aesthetics of the MV also push it to another level.
T-ARA - Tiamo
First there was "Me Gustas Tu," now there is "Tiamo." Jokes aside, this is yet another solid song from T-ARA, who have been the model of consistency for many years now. The soothing lullaby nature of the song is perfect for Christmastime, and my only gripe is the children voices in the background during the last chorus. Otherwise they look great (still not sold on Boram though) and the vocals were very charming. They may have the most balanced roster in terms of vocals, excluding Mamamoo and SPICA.
Mad Clown - Lie (feat. Haeri)
Something about the way Mad Clown delivers his rap appeals to me. The flow is very unique and his voice is better in isolation than with others (because other rappers augment his nasal voice). Mad Clown has been consistent with his performances over the years and this follows suit. Haeri is absolutely stellar and sounds so beautifully eerie with her parts. This was a perfect pick for a featured artist. Come to think of it, Mad Clown has a good track record with that.
K.A.R.D - Oh Nana
You can imagine the disappointment when I found out Youngji isn't actually in the group. At least she got to film a part in the MV. Anyway, this group is always going to be worth the conversation because they are coed and you just don't see any of those ever. I find them pretty pedestrian in both the singing and rapping departments, so ultimately will depend on their chemistry and what their choreography is like. Good first taste, and the "oh nanana" is going to be stuck in my head for a few days.
This was briefly mentioned during the first installment of the new Girl Group Rapper Power Rankings, but I've been rather displeased with the quality of the girl group soloists. Hyorin had three title tracks, but maybe with the exception of "Love Like This," none of them were particularly exciting. And they all pale in comparison to "One Way Love." "Paradise" in particular was disappointed because I expected it to be super hype and then the chorus is just so...deflating. Those horns or whatever are so pitiful sounding. Hyuna's "How's This?" and Hyoyeon's "Mystery" echo some of the energy-sapping woes.

Thankfully it wasn't all bad for the soloists. Taeyeon and Jiyoon had pretty good ballads with "11:11" and "I Do" respectively. Throw in Jessica's comeback (which was probably the best, to be honest) and I have hope for more. Read: I'm going to need Minzy and Nicole to release music soon, because it's been too long. I know escaping bad news is impossible, but I can at least hope that 2017 will be a little kinder to me, to Kpop, and the world. It's been a rough year overall.
I hope to increase blog productivity to summer levels after next week once finals are finished and I'm back home (around Wednesday or Thursday, just before Christmas!) There's plenty of new material I could review or work on, and start planning ahead for next year. And to be honest with the way this year has been I just want to get off the crazy wild rollercoaster that has been 2016. Bring on 2017. Cheers friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment