February 29, 2020

[Bonus] The Late Report: Februrary 2020

February has come and gone, now we head into March. This was one helluva month, with comebacks galore and an extra 29th day to boot.
Everglow - Dun Dun
Dun? Done? Dumb? Which is it? I think it's actually a mixture of all three, but you can imagine my confusion on first listen. "Dun Dun" is Everglow's latest project and probably their most well-rounded of their three tracks so far. Thus, it's the one I like the best even though I'm not entirely sold on them yet. Everglow's trademark appears to be exhilarating dance tracks with impactful choruses that are loaded with lots and lots of energy. But for me it's the little things like the sly harmonies of each chorus that edge out "Adios" and "Bon Bon Chocolat." Aisha shows promise as a rapper with her voice and flow, I'm excited to see more of her.
Yezi - My Gravity
Hang on, this is Yezi...singing. What timeline am I in? Don't get me wrong, this is a gorgeous display of her vocal abilities, I simply was not expecting said display. This is the same girl that raps like a crazy dog and had a badass attitude on Unpretty Rapstar. The sheer surprise factor of how "My Gravity" is a ballad made me forget how I tend to really love the idols who are multitalented and Yezi is certainly showing she wants a place on that list.
NCT's New Subunit
More hacking news? When it is this funny, I gotta. NCT's Twitter got rolled by OurMine who are some notorious hacker group or something. First Pledis and now SM, cyberattacks are getting hot in 2020. These dudes just hacked into a popular Kpop group's Twitter account to promote their services. And apparently it really did trend to a high degree that day. So that's...progress?
Rocket Punch - Bouncy
You know, not all the songs that end up in these episodes have to be good. I could hardly stomach the first impression of this song. Or the second, for that matter. This is basically what I disliked about LOONA's "So What" ramped up to maximum levels. That English line is beyond embarrassing and I have to assume none of them are native English speakers because I couldn't imagine myself saying that with a straight face. "Bouncy" has a decent chorus and a grooving instrumental but at this point, an instrumental has to be truly star-shattering to be of note when the rest of the song is this bad. Yikes.
Moonbyul - Eclipse
Disney is so deeply rooted in my childhood and brain that when I saw Moonbyul's new album as "Dark Side Of The Moon," I could only think of Mulan. But Mulan wishes she could be this powerful. Byul would've stopped the Hun invasion with this performance alone. With the choreography and vocals, Moonbyul is giving me a lot of Taemin vibes like when he was really breaking out as an artist. But the fact that she's doing it at this stage in her career is even scarier and more impressive. With "Eclipse," Mamamoo have rounded out their roster of superstar solo projects and it's a damn fine resume they've assembled.
Amber - Gotta Catch 'Em All
Now this, is epic. Amber embarked on a massive touring spree and went to pretty much ever major city in America, so Boston included. I didn't go, but this footage is from Prime (oblivious247 on Twitter) and bless him because this wouldn't be included in The Late Report otherwise. Much like Disney being synonymous with everybody's childhood, so too is Pokemon. And the theme song transcends time. Shoutouts to all the brothers in the Pikachu, Charmander, and other Pokemon onesies, you da real MVP.
Sunmi - Gotta Go
Lots of female solo energy in this edition, huh. Oh well ain't nothing wrong with that. These girls have been killing it! And Sunmi has been doing so for a long ass time. This is her most powerful form yet. The dance is exciting and in-your-face while Sunmi's voice is as smooth and seductive as ever. Pairing the most aggressive body rolls I've ever seen with those refined vocals is something else. Hits you in a lot of different ways. And to think that this was merely OST food for a drama.
When Taeyeon Wins, We All Win
She's done it. Taeyeon won the Digital Daesang. Ten years after Girls' Generation first won it. Now she has it as a solo act. This is truly the best timeline. I rarely pay attention to this kind of awards business but naturally with Taeyeon being the recipient how could I not at least mention it here? May her reign prosper and continue for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment