December 14, 2013

[Review] 2NE1 - Missing You


Vocals: 25 / 25
2NE1 really pulled out all the stops for “Missing You”, which I haven’t really seen since the likes of “Lonely” and “Ugly”. Every member does work, and what I enjoy the most about the song is the balance between line distribution and appropriate parts. The light background further enhances the vocals, which is another plus. Each member seems to embody / put in a different aspect for their voice in this piece, something I really enjoy. CL has the wavering emotion, Dara the serene fragility, Minzy the innocent power, and Bom the vibrant colour. Everything is in place, from the assignment of verses, minimal use of good Englsh, and simple chorus. The ending of the song is very confusing and misleading, though, as I thought we’d be going into a final powerful chorus (especially with the instrumental in crescendo).
Music Video: 17 / 25
This is a tame music video to accompany a serious and emotional song. The video is simple, but refreshing. Is that car the same one from “I Love You”? That would be some incredible consistency if so. Dara looked stunning in the pinned up blonde (the chess set shots), and I think Minzy is due for a different style soon, but she’s rocking the current colours. Bom…is still an enigma between doll-like beauty and doll-like creepiness. I’m choosing not to comment on CL’s scene, but it’s refreshing to see her back in black. By the way, I totally didn’t miss the “21” in Roman numerals on the ground.
~
Overall: 84 / 100
2NE1 has been all over the place. They’ve wanted you to “Go Away”, not cared (“I Don’t Care”) and felt “Lonely” and “Ugly”, while toggling between loving and hating (“I Love You”, “Hate You”). Now, they’re “Missing You”, and it’s a quality song having amazing vocals that is supported by the light MV. 2NE1 can certainly do 2NE1, but this impression is just as strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment