December 20, 2013

[Review] Hyorin - Lonely


Vocals: 25 / 25
As expected, Hyorin receives a perfect for the vocal work in “Lonely”. Everything is excellent, from the pacing, emotions, verse structure, and even English usage and pronunciation. “Lonely” is a word that is ripe for error from a Korean standpoint, so Hyorin surprised with smooth enunciation. How the word “heart” ended up, however, I’m not that comfortable with, since a blend between “heart”, “her” and “hurt”. All in all everything is pristine and I could not have asked for better.
Music Video: 22 / 25
Hyorin definitely does look “Lonely” in this MV. She seems to be enjoying herself though, at least during the shots in London, if I recall correctly. That certainly looked like plenty of fun to be roaming around the streets al for this video. Hyorin is rocking the new shorter cut (and colour, too) and the plethora of outfits matches well given her figure. All the other shots were a balance of carefree bright scenes and darker emotional scenes, which I found enjoyable. Like the vocals, I’ll keep talks short and sweet: it’s a good MV. Not as superb as the vocals, but hey with this MV score perhaps it doesn’t need to be.
~
Overall: 94 / 100
Seems like very impressive vocals have been a trend the last couple of weeks, not that I am complaining in the slightest. I do love me some excellent vocals, and definitely love some good Hyorin ballad. It’s just at the right speed of ballads that I tend to really find myself addicted to, and the chorus has just the sort of hook and sinker. We’ll tackle “One Way Love” tomorrow, and then lead into the “Best Of 2013”.

No comments:

Post a Comment