November 1, 2014

[Review] Girl's Day - I Miss You

Girl’s Day is on a constant rise, and after dazzling us with the summer spectatular “Darling,” they returned with an emotional ballad in “I Miss You." I was really glad to see Girl’s Day with a ballad for this comeback. We’ve already seen them do absurdly aegyo stuff, classy sexy stuff, and fun cute stuff. It’s time for Minah to absolutely stun us with her ballad vocals.
What I didn’t expect was that Hyeri would get so much limelight, not that I’m complaining. I’m very pleased to see a group stop overshadowing members, and especially since certain groups might not even be able to give generously to the less appreciated members (unfortunately, I’m looking at you Dasom). Still, the vocal quality is excellent in this song, and Minah continues to be excellent.
The ending was rather weak, but not to the level of 2NE1’s “Missing You” weak. Still, that is overlooked because Yura has a damn good rap. I can’t even believe I’m typing that out right now. Perhaps calling the rap “damn good” is an overexaggeration but it’s rapping from Yura that has good flow and sounds good. I’ve never heard anything close from Yura previously. Sojin also jumps in for some singing layered in, a term I will coin “Sistar layer rap” and that sounds really good, too. The overall ballad might be fantastic but I can really come to appreciate this song because it’s Yura’s first with a decent rap segment. Good work.
I dunno why but I laughed a little when I saw MInah in the group shot. The combination of her hairstyle and the outfit makes her look a little puffy or weird or something which made me chuckle. Outside of that, it’s a serious MV with serious emotions. The girls tugged at my heartstrings when I saw them tear up, and on side note, the happier shots of them happy in the snowfall reminds me that I’m not going to be very happy when this winter rolls around.
Girl’s Day has pretty much covered all the bases by now. “I Miss You” is a strong ballad with moving vocals and a supportive rap. They’re showcasing all their talents at a crucial time, with the shenanigans of their sunbae girl groups. Girl’s Day will only continue to rise. If I had gotten into Girl’s Day with this song, I might have put even more stock in the group than when I did with “Expectation.”
[ Score: 92 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment