November 25, 2014

[Review] Apink - Luv

Before I swing by the "Big 3" I'd like to drop a look at A-Pink's latest comeback. Teasers looked promising, even if that just meant the regular A-Pink formula. I think A-Pink has a lot of room for growth, and that's what I think they were aiming for with this release.

I was a little jarred by the opening and didn't expect the dramatic jump, but Eunji continues to be stellar, even though she had no extraordinary parts (disappointing). The vocal growth of members like Naeun was definitely a focus in this song, and I'll have to say I'm pleased with what I'm hearing. They're still really weak as support vocalists and pale in comparison to say, Jia and Fei from Miss A but hey, it's a work in progress. There are a few segments of the song where I could see a bridge over to past songs like "NoNoNo" or "Mr. Chu" but I would attribute that to the "A-Pink sound" more than anything else. Poor Bomi has the unlucky position of having to pronounce the "v" sound which doesn't exist in Korean, although Eunji should be noted for pulling that off smoothly. I actually think she and Suzy have some of the best English enunciation, and given they don't speak English that should be applauded. Overall it's a step towards the more mature sound for A-Pink and although slightly underwhelming, they sound good together (per usual).

Choreography-wise the group has also matured, though it should be said that it's tough tackling choreography and formations for a group with even number of members. Still, it's pretty and they look pretty, can't ask for much else I suppose. The MV is completely polar to the song and choreography, and is arguably really out of place, even if the MV is supposedly matching the lyrics. It's too upbeat and peppy for an emotional MV. The sparkly tear makeup or whatever is rather awkward, as well. Bomi and Naeun continue to stun with their looks and Eunji is as flawless as ever. Maybe they're all really sad because they're all sharing (going after?) the same guy. Ahh, the continuous struggles of the average group.

A-Pink is a group on the rise, and in terms of music and maturity "Luv" is certainly a push in the right direction. I'm curious as to see how they'll develop from here, but here's hoping there's more superstar vocal performances from Eunji and that Naeun and Namjoo continue to work hard as well.

[ Score: 83 / 100 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment