July 15, 2016

[Review] Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely EP

It's been a long time since I reviewed an album. Or rather, a mini album / EP because the previous three installments (Taeyeon, IU, 9MUSES) have all been mini albums haha. Anyway those classification and syntax things aside, let's take a brief look at Wonder Girls' return with the "Why So Lonely" EP. Their comeback last year with a new lineup and band concept was well-received and their legend continues to grow.
1. Why So Lonely
"Why So Lonely" is a wonderful thing. Retro swag and reggae swag combined into one masterpiece. These vocals are fun but sultry at the same time, and that includes Yubin. Wait what. Holy shit! Yubin got to sing?! My hype and appreciation for this can't be expressed enough. I'm hoping that this will magically pioneer a shift where rappers get at least some singing lines. Moonbyul, Bora, Woori, etc. Anyway Sunmi and Yeeun continue to deliver and the more you look, the more valuable 1-2 vocal punches seem to be really damn good. The entire song is full of reggae feel, so I know a certain Running Man cast member is probably really happy about this one.

This reggae infusion also manifests itself in the MV, which is straight up trippy. Everything about this MV is pretty perfect, and I can hardly write anything else after that. Yubin and Sunmi are stunning and Yeeun's pink hair is interestingly pretty (I have no idea what this means but I wrote it so). I've never smoked pot before but if I were offered while this song was playing, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. I'd also smoke with Wonder Girls anyday but that's a given. It's difficult for me to truly rate this song because it's just so different than basically anything else released this year. And to that I say bravo, Wonder Girls.
2. Beautiful Boy
This title is a bit weird given the Korean but I've talked about title mismatches far too many times by this point. It could either be "Beautiful Boy" or "To The Beautiful You" (and I've seen a lot of splits in the naming so I flipped a coin to see which one I would go with). This track continues the retro reggae trend but incorporates more of the pop rock elements that you'd expect out of a band. The rhythm and feel is still relaxing even if it's faster paced than that of "Why So Lonely." As expected, Sunmi and Yeeun do great while Yubin also gets brief moments of singing along with a solid rap. I do have some questions regarding the use of Hyelim in both her utility roles. Her rapping is still far off from Yubin's ability - which is fine, but the continued breathy voice from her isn't selling me. I understand it's more likely than not to help match Yeeun and Sunmi, and to her credit she got much better than how she sounded in "I Feel You." Still sounds like she's trying very hard to get that across.
3. Sweet & Easy
Even though "Sweet & Easy" is a short conclusion to this short EP and has a soft-sounding name, that sassy introduction warns you not to underestimate it. Continuity is strong as the elements that made "Why So Lonely" and "Beautiful Boy" great listens are also present here. "Beautiful Boy" and "Sweet & Easy" are very much cousins, where the latter is the older and faster cousin, of whom the former takes inspiration from. Hyelim sounds her best here, but Yeeun's bridge is the selling point for sure. Yubin's rap here is the weakest of the set but that's probably because she used so many random English food names. Besides, there's little point to the nitpicking as these are all home-run hitters and each one could've qualified for being the title track. Quantity over quality, and this song follows the footsteps of the other two.
Wonder Girls hit us hard with this comeback. The decision to keep going as a band was a wonderful one. It shows that the "I Feel You" comeback was no gimmick and this tracklist is posturing to make the band version of Wonder Girls the strongest iteration yet. All three tracks deliver the same strengths of splendid smooth vocals out of Sunmi and Yeeun, while giving Yubin punctual raps and a bonus singing spotlight. Hyelim hasn't transitioned as easily as her unnies but I have faith that she will in due time. "Why So Lonely" shouldn't be forgotten this year - it may not be as fiesty as some other groups and comebacks, but it's reliable from start to finish and played the reggae theme perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment