September 30, 2016

[Misc] New-ish Girl Group Member Spotlight

As usual, production takes a dive as school gets into full swing. I'd like to review Jieun and A-Pink's newest songs if time allows, but meanwhile, here's a quick piece to satiate my writing desires until October. With my 7th year in Kpop in full swing, it's time to take a look at the new generation of groups and members. This is basically a Bias Power Ranking but only for the relatively recent wave of (girl) groups. Anyone that debuted during or after 2014 is fair game. To avoid seeing too many familiar names from the true Power Rankings, I've restricted one appearance per group. This serves as a reminder to names I'm invested in as their music develops.
Wheein / Seulgi / Momo / Jennie
It's no surprise to find Wheein here. She's quickly gained traction in the group with her adorable personality and soothing vocals. Wheein was the first member I was truly smitten by when watching "Mr. Ambiguous" and that trend easily carried over across subsequent releases. Irene may be Red Velvet's star visual but Seulgi is not far behind (excluding her orange appearance in "Russian Roulette"). She's a fierce dancer and an underrated vocalist in a group gaining momentum. Speaking of, perhaps there is no single member who is hotter right now than Momo of Twice. She leads the J-Trinity and is an incredible dancer - watching her dance is a treat. Jennie makes headlines for being a long-time trainee, but she possesses talent, too. She could easily become the next Minzy for YG, as her rapping, singing, and dancing are all solid and will only get better as time passes.
Yuna / Chungha / Elkie / Yuju
I never said the members here had to be from active groups, heh. Yuna got shafted by the collapse of The Ark, but her rapping is no joke and if there was any girl I wanted to get a second chance with a group, it would be her (I've given up on the Jucy train). I still don't fully understand I.O.I, but what I do understand is that Chungha is so charismatic and intense it hurts. She's got a killer gaze and killer moves, easily the main member of the group in my eyes. Elkie is from Hong Kong, so I have a natural instinct to be curious about her, as we both speak the same languages. She also has potential to rise as a singer if CLC ever branches out into different genres. Lastly, leaving out Yuju would be so disrespectful, so here she is. Yuju is the premiere (female) vocalist of the new generation of Kpop, with enough power for a small country, probably.

And there you have it. There are plenty of other noteworthy individuals, including but not limited to Mina of Twice, Mimi of Oh My Girl, and all of Purfles. There is no lack of talent in these new generation girl groups, and it should be an exciting time to observe them all, or try to anyway. As long as they all avoid extreme bubblegum pop songs...

No comments:

Post a Comment