November 24, 2016

[Misc] Kpop Things I'm Thankful For

As Thanksgiving gets underway in the United States, and we stuff our stomachs with food, it's an opportunity to count our blessings. People we've met, places we've been, things we've accomplished. So here are just a few things I'm thankful for...Kpop edition!

5. Dank Memes
Admittedly, I'm not the biggest memer but I enjoy a priceless meme from time to time. I used to have macros and gifs saved up back in my intense fanboy days but that phase has been long gone. Still, some reaction gifs are timeless and awesome. Some classic memes from this year include CLC's "PPAP" rendition and the existence of High4's subunit that is High420.

4. Idol Variety
I never was big on variety shows. Hell, I wasn't an avid watcher of TV, either. But credit given where credit is due: shows like Running Man and Weekly Idol gave me a breath of fresh air outside the systematic march of watching live performances and mere music videos. Idol appearances on these shows have been impressive to downright hilarious, and have quickly become my go-to distraction.

3. r/kpop
Another thing I wasn't active in was the reddit business. But eventually the desire to have a hub where I could keep up with the frantic pace of the industry and a non-toxic forum environment pushed me out of my comfort zone and into the crazy world of reddit. I've not really integrated myself into the subreddit like I have in forums past (when I had infinitely more free time) but it's definitely become a habit to check it and the other subreddits I follow many times daily.

2. Technology
Not limited to just the world of Kpop, but it's always incredible to see how far we've progressed in technology over the last 5, 10, 15 years. Just look at the MVs produced back in 2008, and then look at a few from this year. The quality and value have grown exponentially and only increases the advertising power of Kpop as a product. Modern fancams have higher quality than MVs from like 2010. And with virtual reality being heavily invested in, who knows what the future holds.

1. Fantastic Music
Kpop has been super strong this year. 2016 has seen brilliant releases across many different genres, promising debuts, and plenty of fun non-music material. Girl groups like Mamamoo, Red Velvet, and GFriend have continues to push themselves higher and higher, while boy groups maintain extreme levels of popularity. Of course there's plenty of controversy to go along with, but at the end of the day I love Kpop for the music - and 2016 has more than delivered.

Thank you, dear readers. For being a part of my (blogging) world. It's always fun to sit down and write up a piece for you guys, and I hope to continue to get better and be more productive. Next up is a little article of the best debut songs, and maybe some retro reviews to make up for the lack of current releases. Before you know it, it'll be Christmas. Be thankful for what you have, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment