August 6, 2017

[Review] Monsta X - Newton (Blitz)

With five other Blitz pieces under my belt, I'm going to set my word limit to 250 for all Blitzes moving forward. Including that first sentence, so moving on! Monsta X slightly take up the mantle of releasing a summer jam for Starship with Sistar's departure. "Newton" is more on the softer side despite making me think of Cam Newton (who is anything but). The instrumental is powerful and drives the song without being overbearing. But the chorus is muddy as the backing sounds and vocals mix. I don't listen to much Monsta X, so I can't tell if it's the instrumental being too loud or the members voices being too soft, but during the chorus it's difficult to listen to. Shownu in particular is soft-spoken from what I saw on Running Man so that doesn't help. Anyway, I.M continues to impress between his technique and his voice. Since none of their vocalists seem standout, he'll be a huge reason behind Monsta X and their successes. On the other hand Jooheon is more of a miss than hit, though he does remind of Zico - still a long ways to go. "Newton" stays at one pace throughout the whole song, and the only thing that really changes is the instrumental. It's still a solid release (albeit not very memorable) and definitely one of the best Lipton advertisements ever.
Word Count: 228

No comments:

Post a Comment