August 22, 2017

[Bonus] Best Of Big Bang

I missed the last r/kpop Top Ten for f(x) - though I didn't want to pile on the S.M. artists - and here we are with Big Bang. Kind of crazy to think that since I started my blog in 2012, the first Big Bang song I ever reviewed was "Loser" in 2015. Of course I then reviewed almost every MV they released that year but anyway. Here are my picks for Big Bang's top songs.
#10. Fantastic Baby
Whenever I think Big Bang dance anthem, this is it. Snazzy background, tacky MV, wild shenanigans. G-Dragon and T.O.P drop the bass with the rapping while Daesung and Taeyang bring up the hype. Oh yeah and Seungri sings about Obama. Too bad he's more of a SHINee fan ya feel? We can't be safe from politics all the time. This is a legendary banger (heh) that has stood the test of time in my eyes. Years later and the song still holds up. This is what Big Bang is.
#9. Lies
Oh how cruel time is. Not because "Lies" hasn't aged well (it absolutely fucking has), but because more modern releases and recency bias cloud my memory and judgment. Still, "Lies" is a Big Bang classic dating all the way back to 2008. Don't let the subpar quality of the MV fool you, this song fired on all cylinders and was but a glimpse of what to expect from Big Bang in the many years to come. That opening piano riff is super memorable and a staple of another early Big Bang classic sure to make an appearance later down the line.
#8. Let Me Hear Your Voice
My first exposure to Big Bang is also their only Japanese song on this list. Even though it was my first Big Bang song, it's easily their best in the Japanese language. It's super memorable and iconic to me because Big Bang and Younha were the artists that bridged me from Korean artists singing Japanese songs to other Korean artists in general. This piece is so delicate between the vocals and rapping, I wouldn't say it was ahead of its time but it's certainly something else. I'd say the ending is a little weak but that's about it. A little pained it's so low to be honest.
#7. Sober
During the crazy run of releases in 2015, I was most drawn to "Sober." The drums and electrifying instrumental are amazing and one of their best instrumentals period. It drives the song to another level entirely. As far as excitement goes this is way up there. Even though "We Like 2 Party" might have had some parts recorded while under the influence, "Sober" seems the best for some drunk karaoke sessions. And if Big Bang was an actual band this would absolutely be their staple. Come to think of it I'd love to see DAY6 perform / cover this song.
#6. Fxxk It
In hindsight, "Fxxk It" should've been on my Best Of 2016 list. But since it was released in December, there wasn't enough time for it to marinate in my library. The pace of this song is exquisite and easily the best (of this set) to dance or groove along to. Even though the bridge is a little awkward, I can forgive it because of those sweet harmonies between Taeyang, G-Dragon, and Daesung. If "Fantastic Baby" is Big Bang's signature hype dance track, then "Fxxk It" is their mainstay medium tempo song. As if people didn't already know, they're really good at both.
#5. Love Song
Having said that, now we swerve into the slower jams. Five more of them in fact. "Love Song" is the loudest of the crew, though that's not why it's only 5th. Beautiful from start to finish, the only gaping weakness of the song might be during the chorus when the emphasis is on the dance than anything else. But everything else is splendid and the prechorus might actually be the highlight. Finally, an obligatory mention that Big Bang did the continuous camera MV way before anyone else. That may or may not be fact checked.
#4. Last Dance
With other (somewhat recent) YG releases having names like "Goodbye," "As If It's Your Last," and "Last Goodbye," Big Bang's "Last Dance" joins the sullen title motif. T.O.P also joined the movement of rappers getting singing lines as the surprise moment and high point of the track. Meanwhile G-Dragon has flaunted his vocals more often but that doesn't make it any less wonderful. Taeyang and Daesung are solid as usual, and there's no other words to describe this song besides "beautiful." This is a trend you'll see as we close out here.
#3. Loser
Not gonna lie, before this song I always thought Daesung was the vocal spotlight of the group (I still think he should be). But Taeyang's work here is undeniable - he sounds so fucking good in every phase. And that layered chorus is amazing, too. The usual formula of quality rapping, singing, and aesthetic is in full force and voila, masterpiece. This song also describes my life, so that's a plus? It's actually quite surprising to me that it's only 3rd overall...
#2. Blue
Though that's mostly because "Blue" set the precedent for that specific slow style (alliteration ayy). This song was the background sketch for many others that followed in its wake: the emotional voices, the dull colors, the scenic shots of the city, etc. When September and October roll around and you're out on a crisp autumn day, "Blue" is the perfect audio to match. As I've mentioned before, I have a "Greychill" playlist (because I think I'm clever with these names) and "Blue" is the ringleader of that genre of a genre.
#1. Haru Haru
There haven't been any B-sides on this list. What does that mean? To me, it shows that Big Bang always delivers quality no matter the era. But the song that's always stood apart from the rest is "Haru Haru." The back-and-forth rap battle, emotional vocals, and intense instrumental (dat chorus tho) make this song divine and extremely incredible given this was released in 2008. It's not only a classic, but it's timeless. Don't even get me started on the MV. You know everyone watching was crying. Because of both the song and plot. Don't deny it.

No comments:

Post a Comment