September 15, 2018

[Review] Oh My Girl - Remember Me (Blitz)

As we hit full stride in September, Oh My Girl returns adding "Remember Me" to their 2018 campaign. I am immediately captivated by that instrumental because good GOD that bass hits hard. But the singing is soft and elegant, which creates a beautiful contrast. I appreciated the MV where the lyrics "when I close my eyes" is matched in the video. There have been plenty of inconsistencies from other artists so I appreciated that. The lack of a true chorus isn't missed too badly by my ears and honestly after two listens I'm definitely okay with it. However, things would've taken an even better turn if not for the non-singing parts of the song. In the surprise move of the year, Mimi's return to rapping has results that are less than satisfactory. She gets two verses but both are very out of place compared to how smooth the vocals are elsewhere, and don't sound great. Then half the squad has an awkward chant break right before the bridge which is equally as awkward. This is some Twice rapping straight up. Mimi is absolutely capable of better raps and it's a damn shame because I really like the rest of the track. Keep everyone else off her turf, seriously. Thankfully we get to end on a positive note because that bridge plus finale help soothe the pain - Seunghee and Yooa really shine in this type of music. "Remember Me" will be remembered for both the good and bad.
Word Count: 247

No comments:

Post a Comment