February 24, 2019

[Misc] Red Velvet Power Rankings Revisited

They say after you see a group live, your opinions change. With Red Velvet, I can confidently say that statement is true. With being there in person, listening to them chat with us, and seeing their mannerisms has shaken up the list. The first edition of Red Velvet's bias ranking was a shared effort with Black Pink so it felt funny rearranging them so despite the position changes it still feels like a fresh ranking sort of.

#5. Yeri (--)
Sorry Yeri but you're unable to escape the last spot. Music-wise she didn't stand out (though she did have some surprising high note moments). And when it came to the choreography my eyes were definitely drawn to the other members but that isn't really her fault? Yeri did continue to do well in the non-music aspects of Red Velvet, and her English was especially strong despite sounding a little stiff at times.

#4. Wendy (-1)
I had debates with a friend over whether Wendy looks better with or without bangs. For me, her stylists have actually been on top of their shit since she's looked phenomenal from "Bad Boy" onward. She argued she looked best during "Happiness." Anyway my respect for her visually and vocally have both improved as the years went by. However, my post-concert impulse has pushed her down a spot thanks to...

#3. Joy (+1)
PARK SOOYOUNG. WHEN YOU SMILE. I'M ALSO. HAPPY! Joy has (perhaps finally) infected me with her charm and I'm willing to move her all the way up to 3rd...from 4th haha. Also, Joy's height (being the tallest of the group) was a factor deadass. When I was watching them dance, I was drawn to Seulgi naturally, but also Joy. Her being so tall made it easier to spot with my fucking blind eyes. She remains a steadfast support vocalist and carries the group outside of performances with Yeri.

#2. Irene (-1)
This has major implications for the next Bias Power Ranking, but it has happened: Irene has been dethroned from Red Velvet's throne. She has always been backed by her insane beauty but when you're at a concert that can't be the only thing you're looking for. For now, Irene will drop out of #1 for the first time. Whether it's simply an immediate reaction to concert vibes or something more permanent remains to be see. I can just imagine her death glare.

#1. Seulgi (+1)
And thus, Kang Seulgi snags the top spot for a post-Redmare ranking. She has one of my favorite voices to listen to, as evidenced by her plethora of guest features in music from the past year. Her dancing is unrivaled within Red Velvet and is always in the discussion of best new era girl group dancers. Seulgi is as versatile in her appearance as she is in the recording booth. While not the greatest off the stage, she has an awkward, unintentional charm about her that is hard to miss. Seulgi is my new Red Velvet bias, congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment