September 7, 2019

[Bonus] The Late Report: August 2019

The funny thing I realized is that even though I feel post production has been slow this year, I'm still on pace for the second most posts in a year on the history of my blog. Of course now that I've said that, everything will self-destruct during the fall and that won't happen but I digress.
Rocket Punch - Bim Bam Bum
Woollim has a new girl group in town. Rocket Punch's "Bim Bam Bum" is your average summery dance track with blips of English here and there, and a generic music video to boot. Truth be told there isn't anything particularly interesting to glean about Rocket Punch to start, but they are coming out of a respectable label so I figure they were worth mentioning here. They do have a neat logo, which I'll use in future posts that need them. They're obviously going in a different direction from Lovelyz, so it'll be interesting to see how they progress with more comebacks.
Split Anniversary
Loona have only been officially debuted for a year but they have accomplished quite a lot. "Butterfly" is a top dance jam of 2019 and they've got plenty of individual material to sort through. As you can see from my various miscellaneous trash posts about them, I'm a huge fan of these girls and their talent. They've garnered a reputation for being excellent dancers and their covers prove so. Here's to more powerful years out of this group.

On the opposite end, f(x) celebrated their 10th anniversary in the last week. And by "celebrate" I mean officially disband because both Amber and Victoria have left SM Entertainment. How fucking sad is that. They were always a niche group off the heels of SNSD but still, they made it work when SM actually promoted them. At least their last song together ("All Mine") was good? Even though that was only for fucking Station. Glad I saw them live in Hong Kong before they were locked away in the dungeons.
Sunmi - Lalalay
Seems like Sunmi has had a new song every three months or something. I mean nothing really surprises me about her anymore during her ascension to one of the game's best solo acts. "Lalalay" is a song with yet another deviation / flavor that still resonates with her style of music. It's sassy and brazen, just like Sunmi. And unlike some other recent releases, the choreography shown here is on par with what we've seen out of Sunmi's gang before. This may be the first time I've seen pigtails be a requirement for a dance. I don't think the blonde is as good a look for her because darker hair colors compliment her striking eyes and expressions more. That blonde and her pale complexion don't match very well in my eyes. But that's a small price to pay for another Sunmi bop.
Rose Bloom
Okay, I like Rose as much as the average Black Pink fan, but she's really getting a solo debut "soon?" Granted YG is probably rushing the fuck outta this because any news with them has been a rolling wheel of garbage this year but still. Casual reminder that Black Pink have released seven major title tracks since their debut in 2016. Four of those seven were during that first year. And now with zero studio albums, they're gonna have half their lineup have solo campaigns? Doesn't make sense, but that's YG for ya. Whatever, I hope the music is good at least.
Crush - Nappa
I didn't know Crush signed with P Nation. Psy has seriously put together quite a group in his first year with this label. Crush is as Crush does: singing R&B numbers with his beautiful voice. This music video is also refreshing given the end of summer, plus the interactions between Crush and his friends. It has both serious and carefree vibes which is nice. Crush hardly ever disappoints, and "Nappa" is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment