December 29, 2019

[Bonus] Best Of TeryReviewsKpop

As we look onwards to 2020, the final post of this decade will be a retrospective of sorts. It's been eight years since I started writing about Kpop. Lots of reviews, rankings, and lists. Over the years more fluff and less serious-type stuff has also made appearances which I think has helped me sustain the brand. It's been lots of fun because despite not having a huge audience, the writing is what keeps me going with a useful hobby. Either that or smoke crack. So with another year behind us, and potentially more to come in the next decade let's take a look backwards. Here are my picks for my top five posts of all time on this blog. They are simply ordered in how proud I am of each post - whether it's the writing style, presentation, or overall feel. If I had to make a blog-related resume for some writing job, I would place these entries on there (maybe but not actually).

[Bonus] Kpop Free Agency: Soloists (2013)
During my extremely short stint doing some work for Seoulbeats, I churned out this piece regarding where some female solo acts would go if they could join a group. The writing itself wasn't spectacular but I thought the concept was well-done. Plus it was only a year into my blogging "career." This was pretty neat since it was the first time my writing was ever published outside of my blog. Granted that was the only time but still! Gotta take my small victories when I can.

[Review] Mamamoo - Decalcomanie (2016)
Whether it was legit or not, this is the song review with the most views on my blog. In fact it has the most views of any post ever. That probably was the work of bots but I still really like this review despite the average score of 80. I think this was also early in the phase when I started making those simple art banners with pictures for each part of the review. With the benefit of hindsight, I can of course say that "Decalcomanie" grew on me over the last three years, too.

[Misc] Best Of Kpop Timeline: 2009-2017 (2018)
Sometimes it isn't the reviews or rankings posts but the more miscellaneous stuff that grows on ya. Just having that image up there with all the legendary groups and their iconic songs over the years can send shivers down your spine. The awe and nostalgia of showing the span of these tracks and artists was something special. This reminds me that I gotta make an updated version of this now that a couple extra editions have been added.

[Bonus] Wild Kpop Episode I: Wonder Girls Edition (2016)
Back when I was operating at peak imagination on top of being a huge football and gaming fan, I dreamed up this wonderful post. In a world where Kpop is known for the machine-like structure and function, some freeform game theory is always exciting. The destiny and happenings of a single member in Hyuna from back in the day would have had major repercussions for multiple groups. Arguably my most complete work in the history of this blog. Everything about this post felt right.

[Bonus] Girl Group Rapper Power Rankings Revisited (2015)
My favorite and most fun piece ever. Artwork? Rappers? Stats? Hell yeah. Who cares if I spent way too much time thinking about stats and spent even more time putting those little rapper profiles together, I thoroughly enjoyed every phase of that list and if I wasn't such a lazy bitch I'd attempt something like that again in the near future. You know I've always loved any power ranking article but this is my most prized one despite it being from over four years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment