January 3, 2020

[Misc] Thought Corner: Kpop Hopes In 2020

First, check out this absolute slapper of a mashup. It's really well done and gave me the chills at various points throughout. Makes me wish I had a penchant or talent for mixing music like this. Anyway it's 2020, goddamn. We're gonna start fresh and mark the new year and new decade with a new season. Unlike previous years I won't go back and proofread anything or make edits to mistakes. It's about moving forward to another year of blogging. This will in fact be one of my resolutions: to have a more productive year than my 2016 campaign in which I churned out 90 posts. So we start with the new tradition of my short list of hopes and predictions for the new year. But before we look ahead, we'll look back on my predictions at the start of 2019.

Tropical House Fade: There's no real way to say this was correct or not. I definitely checked out for a majority of the year music-wise, but from my distanced it seemed like there wasn't that much - especially during the summer. Either that or none of the good songs featured heavy usage of this shit. I'll give myself a pass on this one, but just barely.

The Next Bad Break: Oh boy. Given that 2019 was pretty much a speeding train full of yike, I almost feel at fault (even though that's unreasonable as all hell). If this only included YG's year-long episode that would be more than enough drama for a lifetime. Then there were the contract disputes, member departures, stalkers and suicides. This industry will always have bad news but I never imagined anything like that. A specific guess was that a girl group would suffer and there have been no shortage of that. Momoland, Cherry Bullet, and AOA hit rough patches with only AOA likely to come out okay.

Veterans Reclaim The Throne: My dreams were mere dreams last year. It was unreasonable to expect many of the inactive girl groups to come back, but I was spot-on with my Brown Eyed Girls prediction. A few of them made waves too but they are constant finalists every year like Taeyeon, IU, and BTS. Regardless, it's clear that if the new guard wasn't fully here yet, they are now.

Top Song Of 2019: I predicted that a boy group would take home the #1 song of the year, and that failed. BTS came close with "Dionysus" getting 3rd place overall but that was it. That being said, boy groups still had a productive year. From groups like NCT and iKON to solo acts like Zico and Crush, they released solid music from January to December. It simply wasn't enough to compete the gorgeous choreography of "Butterfly" and the brilliant aura of "Blueming." There's always next year.

f(x) Finally Return: Hahahahaha fuckkkk.

With that despair out of the way, here are my new hopes and predictions for 2020.

Mental Health Awareness
With the tragic events spiraling across 2019, I hope that mental health is really put at the forefront for everyone. Idols go through enough stress as is, but I'm not gonna try and play armchair psychiatrist here. This isn't something you can easily judge as being emphasized but it's some type of positivity that the world needs. Doesn't matter if it takes two years or twenty, helping these artists manage stress and shit is gonna be a net benefit for all parties involved.

BigHit Unleashes
Now that TXT is underway (along with the otherworldly achievements of BTS), BigHit can really make the leap into a powerhouse label. They kind of already are given BTS' sheer dominance but this time I'm referring to the expansion aspect of the company. I expect BigHit to debut not only a new girl group but a new solo artist (that isn't from their groups obviously) too. Something tells me that they've been consolidating their power and talent, flying sorta "under the radar" while BTS raked in the cash.

Sungmin Comes Back
At some point, the Sungmin-haters have to get their head out of their asses right? Like this "boycott" or whatever shouldn't go on forever, right? I mean he already got to release some music under SJ Label, which is pretty much the independent Super Junior label that they have now. Maybe they'll do a group release later in 2020 and he'll be fully incorporated back into the lineup. Considering that they're operating without Heechul given his injuries, Sungmin would be back in his secondary vocalist role. I've missed the balance between his and Ryeowook's voices.

Top Song Of 2020
...will belong to a first-time non-top five artist. I'll have to update the timeline with the latest three editions of Best Of 20XX, but this eliminates a handful of groups and singers which is already pretty bold. Though upon closer inspection a portion of these eliminated candidates aren't coming out with new music anytime soon (Girl's Day, T-ARA, etc.). Still I feel going from never having a song in the top five to an overall #1 selection is pretty dope and can happen this year.

I'll probably come back and edit some more in later, this is all from the top of my head for now. My brain is very small so I struggle with ideas like this. Oh well, go 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment