June 24, 2020

[Review] Seulrene - Monster (Teaser)

We have hit peak lazy season with back-to-back teaser reviews. But hey with Twice's comeback, Black Pink's teaser, and now a Red Velvet subunit all three big names are back in full swing as summer strides into July. Gotta be honest, it's kinda weird how their title track is going by the same name as a labelmate. I know it's been four years but you'd think they'd at least not use the identical title. You'll also notice that I dubbed them "Seulrene" instead of "Red Velvet: Irene and Seulgi" because I think that's a pretty dumb subunit name. What's not dumb is that logo though. It's sleek as fuck and would look very nice on a phone case or something. The gamer in me loves these clean logos because it makes future tier lists and other artsy bullshit look much better. As for what little audio we did receive, I doubt it's part of the actual song - maybe we'll see it during the intro of the music video but not actually be from the audio itself. The wolf and dark aesthetic they have going on hints at a more mature theme which I dig. Summer is always too happy, and I'm for going against the grain. It's gotta be said that between Red Velvet and Black Pink, I'm more excited for the former. But you could probably guess that based on how much I wrote for them than Black Pink.

Anyway that's all for today. Plans for the final week of June include a retrospective, a tier list of some kind, and then of course the usual Late Report. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment