June 30, 2020

[Bonus] The Late Report: June 2020

Man, these are...not getting hard to write per se, but given the record lows of investment and attention I'm giving the Kpop world, I certainly have never felt more lost while making these posts. Thus it's more refreshing than ever to dig around and find out what's been buzzing in these ecosystem every few weeks. I don't plan on retiring this series just yet so we'll see what happens over the next couple of months. If the Late Report can keep chugging along until its two year anniversary in November, I think that'd be pretty cool.
Sunmi - Pporappippam
Everyone rejoice, for she has done it again. Weird title aside, Sunmi has returned with another electrifying dance number. The instrumental is beautifully powerful without being overbearing, and Sunmi's delightful vocals continue to do work. Redditors were saying how the opening was reminiscent of a Legend of Zelda OST. For some reason when I checked out the teaser I didn't agree, but my ears have fully opened and it's definitely out of a video game soundtrack. The rest of it is - as previously advertised - brilliant and the combination of the synths and Sunmi kills it again. Now that I've looked at the lyrics, don't the Korean words translate to "Purple Light Night" or something along those lines? You figure even a slightly scuffed translation would function better as a title, but who knows how the minds of these producers and songwriters work.
Chungha's Play
Speaking of strong independent female solo acts that don't need no group, Chungha is also looking to make a quick return after "Stay Tonight." My thoughts on that title remain the same as two months ago: it's pedestrian with various high and low points. Hopefully this comeback will be a little on the stronger side. Oh and she had a hilarious Sprite commercial a few weeks back. I know I've been out of the loop but with the recent slate of comebacks, it seems the summer wave is truly upon us now.
The Next 9MUSES
Oh good, the gif shows through. Moon Hyuna of 9MUSES recently gave birth to her child and I don't really have words to express how I feel besides that I'm happy she (and the other members) are out living their best lives post-graduation. 9MUSES is shifting into 9MOMS, and those debuts are gonna be sick. With Sungah's baby boy already living it up, we can look forward to the second generation of these wonderful 9MUSES ladies. In slightly related news (and because I have nothing else on male idols this month), TVXQ's Changmin is getting married in September. Congratulations and good for him!
Twice Take The Title
There's a saying in the world of sports that goes "records are meant to be broken." Twice have done so, eclipsing Girls' Generation with a total of 101 music show victories. This is of course a new benchmark in Kpop history for girl groups. You knew that given their insane popularity and even more insane promotion schedule, it was bound to happen eventually. Only time will tell how long this peak will stand before the future overtakes it. And I'm aware this record isn't the one and only, but I couldn't resist the alliteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment