July 31, 2020

[Bonus] The Late Report: July 2020

Well shit, The Late Report is late once again. Unfortunately for my OCD's sake I refuse to cheat and place this post at the end of July. Over the next couple of days I'll have an update type of post trying to streamline the plans for the remainder of 2020. This year has been all sorts of fucked up, and my blog has been no exception. Anyway here are some treats from July that I'm sharing in August.
Chungha - Play (feat. Changmo)
I feel like I've said Chungha's name a thousand times over the last couple of months. She's been working hard and the results speak for themselves. "Play" was quite the loud comeback and I gotta say that I didn't really dig the song at first. However after a few more listens, the artistry and choreography got me hooked and even though I haven't been listening to too much Kpop in recent months this song got repeated a few times. Props to Chungha for continuing to develop herself as a singer, dancer, and artist. Through her work and talent she has joined the pantheon of great female solo acts.
The Pretty Bullies Are...AOA
Remember when AOA was a thing? Good times man, good times. Remember when T-ARA had bullying controversies? Bad times man, real bad times. History has decided to repeat itself with Jimin and Mina heading the spotlight for AOA in a bad way. Not really going to go into the details because that's unnecessary. All that matters is Jimin has left and AOA is finished. I mean, they already were, but now they definitely are. "Come See Me" will now be their twilight like how "Cupid" was for KARA. Who knows how much more went on behind the scenes of this group, and any others. Such is the tragedy of an industry built like this.
Youkyung's Youtube
On the opposite side of the AOA spectrum, here's Youkyung and her Youtube channel. She's been performing covers of various songs and various other content, and I cannot believe I've been missing out for so long. Something about her mannerisms while she plays the drums is super charming and very attractive. I know this specific video was not from July but I don't care. It's (probably) her most viewed cover and deserves all the attention it can get (as does the rest of her channel).
EXID - B.L.E.S.S.E.D
This blog has mainly focused on the Korean releases and comebacks but I have broken this "rule" before. If nothing else, I'm including this track simply because I never thought EXID would perform together again. Or rather, that it'd take much longer before something like this came together. Hell the song isn't even that great ha. "B.L.E.S.S.E.D" is a typical Japanese release by a Korean artist, complete with a plethora of English words, awkward sounding Japanese, and the rapper rapping in Korean. Once again this entry is more about the surprise and impact of EXID as a group rather than the song itself.
Red Orchestra Flavor
The Late Reports have been heavy on the girl group scene, and empty on the male side. Unfortunately that trend will likely continue but hey this has dudes in it...? This orchestral variant of Red Velvet's "Red Flavor" is an absolute treat no matter if you're a fan of the group or song or not. There's not much else to say! This adaptation is awesome and I hope we seem more like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment