January 12, 2021

[Review] Girl's Day - Something (Revisited)

Despite my best efforts, here is some writing about writing of an old song. I will soldier on this year and we'll see how far things go.
  • So with that said, I’m going to go ahead and review the “Something” that didn’t have me cringing, although I was first concerned on how Girl’s Day and TVXQ would be releasing a lead track with the same title. I’m pretty sure Girl’s Day is the first group to have pieces reviewed for a third time, which is impressive given I only discovered them last year.
Girl's Day were one of the most hype girl group discoveries across my many years of Kpop, and so the instant infatuation led to multiple reviews. Also, I wonder about the other various occurrences of groups releasing a song with the same title.
  • When I reviewed “Expectation”, I pinpointed that while Minah was revered as the group’s lead vocalist, I was way more impressed by Sojin and the group’s general synchronized sound. This time though with “Something”, I can very easily see Minah as the standout and the others providing the excellent support vocals. Sojin and Yura do a really good job being the “glue” of the vocals between the choruses.
Truth be told I still love Sojin's voice the most out of the group, but obviously Minah's talent is very impressive. As they continued to evolve as vocalists, some of the gap was bridged but Minah still maintained a healthy lead in terms of overall production right up until the very end.
  • While that was worrisome, it’s a really perfect showing from Girl’s Day, spearheaded by Minah’s fantastic work in the chorus and belts at the end. Minah’s English is also rather top-notch, as her opening is flawless and she was the only member who could pronounce “something” correctly (an understandably tough task).
Seriously, I'm surprised with how well the word "something" was pronounced, given that none of the members (to my knowledge) speak English. It's one of their most complete performances despite Hyeri's lack of lines.
  • Goddammit Hyeri please grow your hair back out. I’ve mentioned that I enjoy seeing consistency within a group, and that preference has no distinction over how large or small the group is. Sojin, Minah, and Yura are breathtaking, and even moreso with the long locks.
I mean, I've always gravitated towards girls with long hair. Pretty sure the only girls I've preferred the short cut over long are like Eunjung and Sooyoung, and even that isn't very fair since both are gorgeous with either length.
  • However, given that previous choreographies in “Expectation” and “Female President” were passable and awful, respectively, “Something” certainly earns the best amongst them. The positioning was pleasant on the eyes, which is uncommon in a group with such small numbers. Loved the extra with Sojin pretending to play the piano during the second verse by the way. That was well done.
Choreography discussion will always be swift, but it's clear that "Something" still had the best of their bunch back then. The little details like the piano playing will always be appreciated at least.
  • To really take advantage of the openings, Girl’s Day needed to come out strong and that’s precisely what they did with “Something”. The vocals are the best I’ve seen from them ever, and Minah really leads the team into the limelight. Sojin and Yura (!) do a flawless job of bridging the verses to the chorus, and the dance and MV are flashy, sexy, but not obnoxiously so. “Something” sounds very good from start to finish, and everything melds together into quite the lovely song.
"Something" was in the middle of a glorious run for Girl's Day, sandwiched between songs like "Expectation" and "I Miss You." The polish and balance in the production of this track did wonders, as it would land comfortably in the Best Of 2014 in both editions. Hell, it usurped "Darling" for the #2 spot in the revision. It's a coin flip for the best in their library, as this many years later I still cannot decide if "Expectation" or "Something" is the top dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment