January 31, 2021

[Misc] The Late Report: January 2021

January is over and despite my lack of attention, there have been some interesting releases this month. Whether it's a preview of things to come or the rest of the year will deviate wildly, remains to be seen. Hope everyone has had a good (or at least better) start to their year than both myself and or last year. Stay safe out there. But then why are you "out there?"

Hyuna - I'm Not Cool
As I've said before on this series, not every song that makes it here is good. Hyuna has always been hit or miss with me and this time, she's struck out on three pitches. I just...don't like anything presented here. Some commenter on reddit said "the song isn't that good but Hyuna just makes it work." To that I say, "what exactly did she make work?" The structure is all over the place and I legit couldn't stomach a full second listen. Also this video thumbnail do be hella uncomfortable.
You Ain't GOT7 No More
Oh how the turn tables. January's roster transaction news was headlined by the entirety of GOT7 leaving JYP Entertainment after their contracts had expired. Now I haven't followed the group much at all even since their debut and early years so I was little surprised that not even a single member decided to hang around. Handful of them have already signed elsewhere so that may have been it for these fellas. Also, how quaint that GOT7's last video under JYP was literally called "Last Piece."
Dreamcatcher - Odd Eye
Dreamcatcher are back with yet more of their signature sound and style. As someone who has strayed from the usual Kpop web, their music will always be fresh and lively. I dunno if I've stated this before when covering them but they have a very synchronized and balanced vocal roster. They may not have extremely talented vocalists but they all sound extremely good together. Something I have stated before is Dami's similarity to Wonder Girls' Yubin in their rapping style and even a bit of the voice. Since Yubin has focused more on her singing in the post-Wonder Girls era I can appreciate this pseudo-reincarnation of her in Dami. When can get we get Loona Odd Eye Circle to cover this?
Yunho - Eeny Meeny
First off, I can't believe they made a song in 2021 where the fucking catchphrase or hook or whatever is "eeny meeny miny moe." That's ridiculous, sort of in both directions to be honest. Anyway, clean performance and choreography from Yunho and the squad, with a wonderful MV feature in Seulgi. She's clearly the darling girl of the company and continues to make moves and collaborations. I'm always down for more interaction of singers like this. They look quite good together too, visually speaking.
Epik High - Rosario (feat. CL, Zico) 
Nearly reviewed this song instead of IU's "Celebrity" but let's be real: my dumbass isn't smart enough to fully appreciate this art, much less discuss it in a semi-intelligent manner. Epik High are kicking off their 10th studio album with a masterpiece. What a pair of pickups for "Rosario," as CL and Zico are legends in the regular Kpop sphere and well-established outside of it. CL's chorus is gorgeous and I've missed hearing her voice. And of course Zico is always a treat. The aesthetic should be touched on a tad, too. Mob boss Mithra, stoic queen CL, and young prince Zico lead the way. "Rosario" is a highly polished product and an instant contender for some end of the year awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment