November 19, 2013

[Review] G-Dragon - Who You


Vocals: 7 / 10
Something tells me the ranges in this song stretched above G-Dragon’s comfort range. I already don’t really like when Taeyang goes outside of his range (read: too high), and G-Dragon has a less impressive voice. Nonetheless, some of the hooks were nice and the overall flow of the song was nice on the ears. It feel really weird to even talk about G-Dragon’s vocals in something related to Big Bang (even when I reviewed “One Of A Kind” and “Crayon” in September) but he did average work in the song, and so an average score he’ll receive.
Rap: 7 / 10
There wasn’t too much rapping in this track, but I share most of the same sentiments regarding the rap as I did with the vocals. I caught a “shotuout” or whatever to CL’s “Baddest Female” at the end of one of the lines. G-Dragon’s usual rapping performance is weakened by the higher pitched usage of his voice. But I will acknowlege that he went through the entire song within this range, similar to how he did in “That XX” (except for the rap break).
Music Video: 9 / 10
I appreciated the idea that this was a community-created music video, with the help of all the fans volunteering, It’s awesome to see artists working with and reaching out to the fans that they care about and are cared about in return. That said, this wasn’t that interactive of a video from a artist-to-fan perspective. The glass walls were pretty expansive, and just seemed like a cage of G-Dragon to be watched and observed by, all the while essentially providing four minutes (or however long) of fangirl-fainting stares and fanservice. But, I won’t take away from the fact that this was an awesome community-created video, and so kudos to you, G-Dragon. Also, nice car.
Overall: 78 / 100
In terms of score, G-Dragon comes out (barely) on top over Taeyang and T.O.P, but within the three I felt all of them lacked something (or in some cases many things) to really cement themselves as staple singles / releases of the Big Bang group. With military enlistment looming over the group, I was hoping they’d make a final “wave” (or “bang”, heh), and I’ll try to hide my disappointment, but in the end, they had some decent tracks during November. I’m moving on though, Miss A and M&N are next,

No comments:

Post a Comment