November 26, 2013

[Review] Miss A - Hush


Vocals: 7 / 10
Miss A sounds great in “Hush”. The voices blend together extremely well and the unique attributes of each member are brought out nicely. But, there’s nothing interesting in this song. I guess you could characterize the chorus as the hook, but the first and second verses’ only difference is who is singing them. There’s no lyric change between Min and Suzy’s verse and Fei and Jia’s verse. While I may not have noticed this if the song was faster, the nature of the song caused me to be curious so I looked up the Hangul and that’s when I noticed the identical verses. The bridge (and also the extremely awkward “Ah ha” before it) also seemed out of place, not fitting with either the verses or the chorus, despite the rather better ending with the belts. The good thing about Miss A is that just about any of them could be belting, which I say is something to boast even in a small group like theirs. Emphasis on the sound of the vocals, not so much the quality of the vocals.
Appearance: 10 / 10
Miss A continuing to be perfect in the visual / eye candy department. I actually thought Jia was in the spotlight for this one, despite the uh…Min groping at the beginning. Her fair looked fabulous in all shots / scenes, and she was the only one with lighter contacts which looked nice. Suzy, Min, and Fei are just about the same. Since “I Don’t Need A Man”, “Hush” is more dark, which is what the extensive use of black clothing and makeup and bright red lipstick compliment. My only complaint is Fei’s tied back straight hair, since I find her so much more flattering with anything but. The chorus choreography does have hair flipping, so maybe this was mainly for that.
Dance: 7 / 10
Is that groping in the beginning…? I thought the whole tearing sheets right in beat for the chorus was neat, but uh, the rest of the choreography is pretty average. The whole dance during the chorus (first chorus anyway) with the pole dancing is not only random, but “inappropriate”. What I mean by that is, it’s out of character, since the pole dancing part never appears again for the remainder of the song. Lives of this must be hella awkward with a random pole there for only 25 seconds never to be used again. There were also sequences where the positioning seemed sort of messy or almost freestyle. While it can work for larger groups, I prefer more unison or synchronization in smaller groups.
Music Video: 2 / 10
Ugh. The only decent thing (which is actually more than decent, it’s really cool) about this MV is the ending. The faces transitioning into each other was breathtaking? Elegant? I can’t find the right word. Well done, is what it was. I feel like a concept like that must be out somewhere in other videos, but “Hush” is the first that I’ve seen. The rest of the music video is…bad. The solo shots and lipsyncs of the already-mentioned boring verses were equally as boring with nothing but stares and the lips moving. Outside of that is the standard dances and boxes video.
~
Overall: 66 / 100
This is a really catchy chorus, but not a really catchy song. The instrumentals for the regular and party version are also pleasant and complimentary, but the video is absolutely horrendous despite the bright ending and the dance is decent at best, so the score really takes a hit in that regard. Thankfully, I appreciate music to the vocals, and so I’ll continue to enjoy the song for what it’s worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment