October 14, 2017

[Misc] Girls' Generation Power Ranking Timeline

To tribute the unofficial end of Girls' Generation, I did a little experiment where I ranked the members in terms of bias. We have to go all the way back to when I started listening to them way back in 2009. Think of this as Bias Power Rankings but only within Girls' Generation. Keep in mind I never did these officially throughout the years so I went off memory for pretty much all stages. As always there isn't really a method to my madness. Here's what I finalized, with some explanation after the jump (if only so this isn't just a picture post haha).
Discovery & Honeymoon: Late 2009 - 2011
SNSD was one of the first groups I ever found. "Genie" and "Gee" started it all for me and the former easily got me interested. First phase was right upon discovery with "Genie." Tiffany was the original star with her husky voice and beautiful eyes. Sooyoung also ranked high thanks to her legs which never ended. Next came the usual honeymoon phase where everything they did was magical. You know the deal. Second phase was during "Run Devil Run" and "Oh" promotions. Invincible Youth was around this time so Sunny and Yuri benefited off that. Then we hit 2011 and third phase, which was for "The Boys" and concerts in the U.S. The pinnacle of that time was their Running Man episode debut. I became infatuated with Seohyun and her general precious personality

IGAB & Mr. Mr.: 2012 - 2014
This time spread is self-explanatory. There are two phases for the two comebacks. TTS enjoyed this era as they all ranked in the top four. Exiting the honeymoon phase that meant no more constant Twitter checks and libraries of pictures. Yoona hit her peak during "I Got A Boy" at #6 while Yuri ranked her lowest after "Mr. Mr." Seohyun starts to drop as I slipped out of variety for the group (and many groups in general honestly) during these years. During this time I really just focused on music. These albums had some fantastic pieces and I think that heavily influenced my placements. Certainly helped Tiffany a lot.

Post-Jessicagate: Late 2014 - present
After Jessica's departure, she earned plenty of sympathy from me. BLANC would be a name I adopted for my own in the videogame world, and so she surges to #2 and likely will stay there forever. Yuri recovered from her previous harsh descent while Seohyun did not. "Lion Heart" Sooyoung was the closest she ever got to "Genie" Sooyoung, and Sunny finished in the middle of the pack. If this legendary group manages to do more promotions in the future, I'll be overjoyed and can add another section in, but until then this will be the last rankings to date. I mean this is also the first (and only) official list but hey nobody checks the data.

Are there any interesting trends of note? Taeyeon quickly became the #1 girl group member period, and the distance between her and any #2 from any era is massive. She's the best! On the opposite end, Hyoyeon and Yoona have inhabited the basement for almost every iteration, unfortunately for them. It was only until later that I appreciated Hyoyeon's sassy personality and discovered she is very underrated in variety. Tiffany has been very stealthy: she's never fallen below 4th. In hindsight I could've made the individual pictures larger to accommodate the framing but it was my first time toying around with it so give me a few more tries in the future. Might be seeing another timeline post real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment