December 17, 2017

[Recap] 2017 September-December: Culmination

As 2017 comes to a close it's time for the final Recap of the year. What a year it was for Kpop. Groups debuted and disbanded, controversies continued to ravage the industry, and more fantastic music was released. It's been a bit over half a year since I returned from blog hiatus and my productivity has been pretty good. I've got plans to do more in 2018 but I'll save that for a miscellaneous post in the near future. To the scoreboard!
10. Twice - Likey (80)
9. GOT7 - You Are (80)
8. Yves - New (80)
7. GFriend - Summer Rain (80)
6. Pentagon - Violet (83)
5. Hyuna - Lip & Hip (85)
4. EXID - DDD (85)
3. B.A.P - Honeymoon (90)
2. Super Junior - Black Suit (92)
1. Bolbbalgan4 - Some (92)

In what is mostly representative of the year, we have many songs that are solid but not quite excellent. Super Junior and Bolbbalgan4 were the league leaders with impressive songs while the rest of the reviewed pack were in close competition. The disparity between boy and girl groups is starting to show up again, doubly so when two of the four boy group reviews were Blitz pieces but I'll continue to be mindful of that moving forward.
For future fall Recaps, I'll forgo any highlights for two main reasons. One: with the Best Of 2017 coming up, I didn't wanna take anything away from those posts. The sillier but more weighted reason is because of the font difference in the Fall Highlights. The font of the other highlight banners is lost in the ether so I'd have to make an entirely new series of banners and I'm way too lazy to do that. Plus the first reason gives me somewhat of a legit excuse.

Going into some more logistics, I was able to write about a couple new artists during this stretch, with groups like Pentagon and Bolbbalgan4. Not to mention a return to some artists I haven't talked about in a while, like Hyuna and B.A.P. The mixture between old and new will help keep me refreshed and avoid any dullness or routine in terms of who I cover. As long as the diverse rosters in Kpop keep up with the good music then it'll always be a treat picking who to write about.
Again I'm mostly saving any reflections about the year for a possible post at the beginning of 2018, but it was a good year discounting all the groups that are no more. Twice has risen to the top while BTS and KARD keep at their stellar young careers. Fingers crossed that 2017 houses my last hiatus from blogging for a while. Onto bigger and brighter things!

No comments:

Post a Comment