March 27, 2018

[Misc] Apink Power Ranking

I too enjoy some simple writing full of flavorful text. After Twice's Power Ranking was finished I immediately thought of fixing up another one. For some reason Apink was the group that came to mind. They have a good number of members and besides an obvious #1 pick the rest of the lineup could take some disassembling. I'll probably do more of these for shits and giggles, combining multiple groups with smaller numbers to make thing easier. For now, here's the Apink crew from worst to first.

#6. Namjoo
Every group seems to have one member that I just can't get behind. For Apink, that's poor Namjoo. I don't really know what it is about her. As far as within the group is concerned, she's not standout in any aspect. She doesn't possess a special voice (might be bottom of the entire team actually), and whenever I watch her on variety I get annoyed. I might think she's being really fake or something. At least visually she's not far behind the team, but her short hairstyles were not a favorite of mine.

#5. Hayoung
Main vocalists and maknaes have often gotten the better of me - especially in my early Kpop life - and Hayoung did start in the upper half way back in the day. But as time went on she started trending downwards and here she is. I haven't rewatched Apink variety in a while but I remember not getting much out of her and that's probably a big reason why. I do like her voice though. Hell, I think Apink as a whole have solid singing voices at the minimum.

#4. Naeun
Naeun's charm is her visuals. Don't get me wrong she's gorgeous, beautiful, pretty, the whole nine yards etc. etc. But that's her only thing. She's a one trick pony. I've seen her on variety and I'm not impressed. Way too reserved (either through her own fault or management / marketing) and usually nothing but a backdrop during shows like Running Man. She's doing fantastic outside of group activities due to her youth and beauty so that's cool. She's gotten CF offers that put her in the same ballpark as Seolhyun, Tzuyu, IU, etc.

#3. Bomi
Bomi doesn't give a fuck. This girl is a tornado of personality, laughter, and memes. She has that gorilla joke and I think that's also awesome. She just seems the most natural out of the girls, or perhaps the least afraid to show off her true self in recording. Unless it's an act oh no! Anyway, she's great as a secondary vocalist to Eunji, and would likely hold her own as the #1 if that was ever needed. Or, you know, maybe a subunit where she's one of two fricking members that hasn't released anything in over three years. Sheesh.

#2. Chorong
Sweet, scary Chorong. Leader roles have deteriorated in importance over the years but Chorong is a traditional example of a good leader. Her beautiful voice is betrayed by her "harsh" demeanor towards her group but it's always in the caring way. My favorite clip of Chorong is the "yaja time" from I forget which show. But she literally sits there, seething with anger that they had to go through with it. 10/10 moment. In a way it's relaxing to have such a powerful force in Apink. They and their music are known for being sweet and innocent all the time. Chorong is a great knuckleball thrown in the mix.

#1. Eunji
No-brainer here. Eunji has been my favorite member of Apink since I first found out about the group way back in the day. She's been apart of the Bias Power Rankings since their inception in late 2014 and has slowly but surely climbed to the mid-tier placings. Eunji's voice is delightful, she carries Apink on her back and is fantastic inside and outside of her group. She's not a variety superstar but
Plus her acting chops ain't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment