March 7, 2018

[Misc] Twice Power Ranking

After Girls' Generation's unofficial demise, let's see how I rank the members of Twice - who have taken over as the most popular girl group and essentially the successor to SNSD. As with any sort of bias ranking, the main factors include their talent, roles, and consistency. In terms of their personality I've not watched too much variety material on them besides Weekly. I realize now that this is actually the first formal group member ranking. There's not been a single group member ranking in my entire blog, I would've thought I did at least one official writeup for Girls' Generation. I suppose it's the changing of the times in both the Kpop world and my blog. Here we go!

#9. Sana
I wonder how many crimes this amounts to. Sana is a good mix of adorable and gorgeous but overall not really my cup of tea. Where she's strongest is that Sana has been one of the most consistent visually, or least ruined by their stylists. I mean yeah that's great since Kpop is so visuals-based but whatever. It's quite shocking to have such disparity within the J-Triplets, which you will see later.

#8. Jungyeon
Outside of f(x)'s Amber, I'm usually indifferent to other girl group members who followed that trope, though usually through no fault of their own. Jungyeon's the androgynous one of Twice but what's more important is that she has the strongest voice on the team - we won't see a vocal duel between her and Jihyo but I'm more for her voice.

#7. Nayeon
For some reason, when I think of Twice I think of Nayeon before anyone else. Maybe that's because she starts every damn song. Truthfully that's probably an intentional and smart move by their management. She's a cutie no doubt, but I'm generally not attracted to them. Hell the only reason she isn't last is because she has remained heavily consistent across the visual and vocal spectrum since her debut.

#6. Tzuyu
Tzuyu kinda bores me. She's outclassed in the foreigner factor because of the J-Trinity, I don't think she's the prettiest member, and she's forgettable both vocals-wise and dance-wise. Sure she isn't the worst in either of those aforementioned categories, but she's not the best either. This is a great reason why she's in the middle third of these rankings. I do feel for her because she had that flag "controversy" because that is some fucked up shit to have a teenager go through that.

#5. Jihyo
Usually the main vocalist is one of the lead candidates for my favorite member. Hell in some groups that's literally the only reason I like them the most. Jihyo can't make this claim because not only is she a fairly average vocalist overall, but Twice's music isn't capable of putting her up on a pedestal compared to other members. For a long while I thought Jungyeon and Nayeon both were better than her, which says a lot about their songs (less about her individually).

#4. Dahyun
Dahyun reminds me of Wonder Girls' Sohee. They're both extremely adorable, have quirky personalities, and have pedestrian (sometimes even regrettable) singing voices. However, Dahyun benefits from being in the current era of Kpop and having (minimal) utility as a rapper, neither of which Sohee had in her years. Honestly I think if their positions / groups were switched then their successes would've also flipped. But that seems obvious so we'll move on.

#3. Chaeyoung
First things first: short hair Chaeyoung is a tragedy of styling and has no place here. When she rocks the long locks she's got amazing visuals and in that regard is extremely underrated. It's not her fault her stylists suck. Anyway, Chaeyoung is a promising rapper that has yet to develop behind the bubblegum pop sphere of Twice, but when she gets her chance through individual efforts or something like subunits, she's gonna slay.

#2. Momo
Meet the most consistent member of Twice. Visually, Momo is the most attractive by far and has been butchered by stylists the least. Sure her voice is super nasally but Twice aren't a vocal powerhouse group to begin with - and I've already talked about the average skills of the team. She's a solid dancer and that's where most of her fame comes from. I do think people oversell her dancing skills, because she has never captured me like Seulgi or SinB. However part of that is also tied to whatever choreography her group has to do. Compared to some of the other big name girl group dancers Twice's material isn't up to par.

#1. Mina
If Momo is the most consistent member of the group, then Mina is not that far behind. Momo is attractive but Mina is breathtaking at times. Similarly, she hasn't been screwed over that badly by a hairstyle or anything either. She has a pretty voice that's been used to great effect in some of Twice's bridges, and she's just as good of a dancer as Momo in my non-dancer eyes. Early in my group discovery I kept bouncing between Momo and Mina, but as the releases fly by and their music's magic start to diminish for me, Mina solidifies her hold as the #1 Twice member in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment