March 30, 2018

[Review] Olivia Hye - Egoist (feat. Jinsoul) (Blitz)

The Loona hype train has come to a stop for now with the final member's solo release. Olivia Hye (dropping her last name from now on) is here with "Egoist" which is funny considering she was the last member / release. Anyway back when I reviewed "New" from Yves I said that simplicity worked out well for her. In "Egoist," Olivia gets to do a little more and the instrumental provides a nice assist. Those dance breaks were easily the high point of the song and matched the choreography well (or vice versa). Vocals-wise I don't think she's that impressive and the backing audio does well in masking what she really will sound like in live performances. At this point in Loona's time I have no idea which member is gonna be what so they're all decent support vocalists until I hear otherwise. Jinsoul's rap feature is a solid B+ in my book. She has that disparaging filter but I can look past it in favor of the overall good rapping. Rapper Power Rankings are being worked on for April so this new material is welcome. Loona is definitely in capable hands with her manning the rap department. The video has crazy strong aesthetics once again, but those ripped pants triggered my trypophobia and made me extremely uncomfortable the rest of the video. The ending where Olivia meets Heejin is a quality touch and gave me goosebumps. We could be on the verge of something magical here with Loona.
Word Count: 248

No comments:

Post a Comment