June 25, 2018

[Review] f(x) - Electric Shock (Revisited)

The problem with mobile Blogger is that it doesn't translate to when you post from a computer. There are differences font-wise, spacing, etc. that will irritate my OCD. As I'm back next Monday this will be the last post from Asia - and I can fix everything that was posted previously. Today, it will be another revisit to a review from my humble Tumblr beginnings in 2012. Here's a group we haven't seen or heard from in a long ass time.
  • So S.M. finally decided to show Amber some love and gave her singing lines! What a pleasant surprise! Sulli and Victoria’s vocals continue to improve and refine, and Krystal’s is nothing short of fantastic.
Come to think of it, f(x) was really the first girl group to have their rapper do some singing in title track releases. Amber was originally recruited as a vocalist anyway but still they set the precedent way back then. Surprising that I give Krystal's voice a lot of love. I always had liked her voice more than her sister's, but not to that extent.
  • Is it strange that I thought Luna’s “I’m in shock, electric shock” sounded better than Krystal’s, even though Krystal is the fluent English speaker?
No, it's not strange because Luna's English isn't bad. This was a case of underplaying Luna's language skills and overplaying Krystal's.
  • f(x) continues to shine with bright vivid outfits and mostly neat design. / Luna has finally gotten rid of the blonde and gone brunette and my God she looks amazing. Now if only she could go back to black… /  Lastly—ALL HAIL QUEEN VICTORIA. ALL HAIL QUEEN VICTORIA. ALL HAIL QUEEN VICTORIA.
f(x) really were experimental in the early 2010s and this was pretty much right up their alley. Luna's blonde phase went on a bit too long for my liking, and my prediction about her going back to black being correct is a rare sight. My infatuation with Victoria has never waned since I stumbled upon them in my early Kpop days. She was gorgeous, is gorgeous, and will always be gorgeous.
  • I am still waiting for either Luna and Victoria or even Amber to have a dance break in some release, since both are solid dancers. However, SHINee barely gives Taemin dance breaks so I know I’ll be waiting for a while.
Although there's yet to be an individual member rocking a dance break, there was a group one in "4 Walls." Technically "Rum Pum Pum Pum" housed a break too but that was barely five seconds long so I don't consider that worthy of being called a dance break.
  • Nothing else I can comment on, generic MV is generic, although the bridge with Victoria just lying on the ground was rather…strange.
It's painful I've been writing about music videos like this for six goddamn years but at some point you move on and just appreciate each video for the eye candy. And yes, Vic lying on the ground is still bizarre.
  • I believe this hype / dance song would’ve benefited from a good rap from Amber, but that’s equivalent to flipping a coin (or worse yet). In the end though I guess I’d rather have Amber singing with no rapping than Amber singing with bad rapping. All in all, S.M. seems to remember what f(x) is good at performing, and hopefully future releases will have the same familiar sound and power of “Electric Shock”.
To be fair this is exactly what "4 Walls" delivered in 2015: an upbeat dance track with energy and a punctual rap from Amber. Unfortunately, they are still a galaxy away from doing group activities. "Electric Shock" was still a solid release and a score of 86 is perfect even six years later. To think that S.M went from three strong girl groups to one over a couple years simply due to negligence. For shame. f(x) needs a comeback later this year. Nostalgia trips alone aren't gonna cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment