June 14, 2018

[Review] Wonder Girls - Like This (Revisited)

Well, assuming I can format correctly via mobile here's an idea that I can write while on vacation - albeit sparingly, as to save that precious phone battery. Plus it can be a recurring post even after my trip. In this blog's younger days I wanted to review songs of years past every now and then. What this series will do is let me revisit these songs and writings, to not only see my opinions then, but also how they've held up over time (and be irked with how I used to write). Because of this weird combination, I'll figure out how to properly categorize them. As I'm on mobile, there won't be any links, videos, or pictures. I'll have to create and edit them in later. But they should pretty brief with commentary on excerpts from the original piece of writing. What better review to revisit than my very first song on the blog back in 2012: Wonder Girls' "Like This!"
  • The variation in vocals of the Wonder Girls has always impressed me, just within the last couple of releases.
This was never something I truly focused on. Just things you notice coincidentally. But it does help prevent songs from sounding stale. Recently VIXX' "Scentist" did just that and I noted the change as a nice touch. Same here.
  •  I would like to see some Yubin lines in the future, because I’m assuming she’s had some vocal training.
Man, 2012 me would have loved to see this timeline play out. I mean, not the whole Wonder Girls disbanding part, but the Yubin getting to sing in a couple releases. Sidenote: have you heard her solo debut yet? She sings the entire song without a rap break. Truly inspirational.
  • Sohee and Yubin are looking per usual, which is to say, very good. Hye Lim’s hairstyle is new and looks much better without bangs, and the mix of colours are unique. Sunye and Yenny…
Haha, back when I used to write a section specifically about looks. In fairness, the hairstyles sported by Sunye and Yenny really were atrocious.
  • Yubin’s voice is perfect for rap, low and hot.
Why yes. Yes it is.
  • I love the use of the hundreds and hundreds of participants as backup dancers / flashmob members, especially with the variation in characters: young children to the elderly.
It really was awesome seeing all those different ages come together for some Wonder Girls flashmob fun. Later that paragraph I say how this is one of the best complimentary music videos in Kpop. And I think it still is, right to this day.
  • "Like This" may not have too high of a overall score, but it’s still ridiculously catchy in both the lyrics and dance, and the music video is very fun to watch. I know I’ll be humming and singing "Like This" for some time.
True on all accounts. "Like This" wasn't about the highest quality - it's not one of their best songs but definitely not one of the worst either. Definitely a solid introductory piece to Wonder Girls. It has a simple hook, catchy rap, and a cute dance (video). Seems 84 /100 was the right spot for the track. That was fun! Hopefully once I'm back I can figure out to present this in a better way. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment