November 7, 2018

[Bonus] Worst Of Unnecessary Rap Breaks

Here's another Worst Of that was previously alluded to poorly (both in terms of mechanics and time). There are always songs that are good (or even just average) that suddenly nosedive because of a rap section that is not only bad, but also unwanted and unneeded. Lots of songs fit this category so it wasn't easy to choose a small handful - because I really did try to pick the five biggest offenders - but I ended up with these selections. They are presented in a rough order but that doesn't mean much. I despise all these rap breaks equally.
#5. Verbal Jint, in Taeyeon - I
Even though this piece is 5th, it's easily the instance that comes to mind when I think of unnecessary rap breaks. Verbal Jint is a god, I know, but that doesn't stop him from having mediocre moments. And his entrance into Taeyeon's solo debut was definitely one of them. Not only is the rap itself in a strange section of the song, the rapping is not memorable either (or only memorable for being unneeded). The English is also strange, though I could say the same for the rest of the song. What exactly does "my life is a beauty" mean?

#4. D.Action, in Hyosung - Find Me
Who is this guy? It doesn't matter because his appearance in "Find Me" ruined the flow of the song. Not to mention that immediately after Hyosung climbs into a slower bridge which feels way more out of place given the rap break prior. Granted I think it'd have been weird sounding either way but the rap amplifies the awkwardness. Hyosung could've easily handled a dance break on her own so I'm not sure why D.Action was included. No hate, only confusion.
#3. Beenzino, in Suran - Calling In Love
Even one of my favorite rappers cannot escape my wrath. Beenzino is a talented motherfucker so I was looking forward to his feature with Suran. But instead I was left feeling unsatisfied. Beenzino's inclusion isn't odd per se but his actual rap just seemed...off. For a song that was so relaxing and slow tempo his delivery was more upbeat. I feel if you replaced the instrumental with some heavy EDM shit it'd have sounded better, and that's why you'll find it on this list.
#2. Irene, in Red Velvet - Ice Cream Cake
They don't all have to be features. Many idol rapping lines could be presented here but I feel Red Velvet take center stage in this regard (it was either them or other labelmates). "Ice Cream Cake" was one of their best songs upon release and it really could've done without the lengthy rap from Irene and Joy. The flow was poor and the English as random as ever. Imagine if there was a sick dance break with Irene (or Seulgi) in center instead of the cringe compilation.
#1. Chanhyuk, in Younha - Thinking About You
Sorry Chanhyuk. Your rapping leaves much to be desired, and not only in Akdong Musician's music either. Younha delivered a fall classic in "Thinking About You" and you absolutely ruined the moment. If they let the instrumental run its course or did literally anything else the song would have been better overall. I'm genuinely upset at this one because it really did lower the quality of the song for me. Not that the others didn't, but as a Younha fan this one hurt the heart the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment