May 16, 2019

[Review] Weki Meki - Picky Picky

Here comes Weki Meki, fresh graduates from the Momoland school of song titles with "Picky Picky." They have yet to make a huge splash on my radar but their previous title track "Crush" showed promise. As this song starts off, that promise appears to manifest with this cute little English hook, cleverly including the group name as it rhymes with "picky."

Unfortunately, that's about where my praise for this song ends. A common trope between songs stuck in the limbo between mediocre and good is that they contain way too much English. And "Picky Picky" has some forced English at that. The chorus is exciting and fast, but is immediately followed by a repetitive "I'm so picky picky picky." Is it just me, or does their "picky" sound like "freaky?" That shit threw me for a loop on my first listen. Every other line has a burst of English thrown in and none of these lines aid the flow of the track. I see similarities between "Picky Picky" and CLC's "Hobgoblin" or even "Black Dress," with spotty English throughout and an upbeat chorus. The difference being that those CLC tracks' choruses were their strength, while Weki Meki lacks a complete one.

Yoojun has the potential to be the next Jimin: a short stuff badass female rapper but this song does her zero favors. They scattered her usage and gave the single brief "true" rap line to Lua instead. I'm surprised they don't really utilize Yoojun that well. Suyeon's bridge was pleasantly powerful and reinforces the idea that I need to GET OFF MY LAZY ASS and finish Girl Group Vocalist Power Rankings. Lastly, Doyeon is still drop dead gorgeous and - as much as I hate to say it - makes the rest of the group look bad. Like I personally think the visual difference between her and everyone else is galaxies apart. Her stylists did try to nerf her down to manageable levels though in the MV.
"Picky Picky" has the foundations of a solid song between the heavy funky instrumental and dynamic English hook with brief appearances, but it's the other English that ultimately ruins the day for Weki Meki. Hardly anyone turns in a memorable performances save for Suyeon and a stereotypical music video adds nothing to their chances. "Picky Picky" continues to leave me picky about the younger girl groups trying to climb to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment