May 4, 2019

[Review] NU'EST - Bet Bet

It's been a while...I've really got to work on getting large amounts of writing done so these publishing droughts don't exist anymore. Anyways, if Dreamcatcher is the girl group that made the most out of a second chance, then surely NU'EST is the boy group counterpart. After appearances on Produce and a subunit breathed new life into the squad, they're back with "Bet Bet." Considering I know little of them even before the revival, this might as well be a first look at the group as a whole.

"Bet Bet" is a typical darker, more mature sound accompanied by a solid instrumental. The verses have R&B elements before going to the rap-singing from JR. Baekho leads the chorus which is energetic and showcases some fanservice choreography for all the ladies. His voice is sharper (more shrill?) than the others which makes him a great candidate for the chorus - though I'm sure he's their primary vocalist. The English use of "bet" was not butchered, which I consider highly surprising (this is Kpop after all). Outside of the chorus, the rest of the track leans toward the R&B side of things which isn't a bad blend at all. One of my few complaints about this song - if you can even call it that - is the bridge which is barely 15 seconds. It just felt a little odd having such a brief pause between the high energy choruses. I have no idea what the hell is happening at the end of the music video. Looks to be a sampling of the rest of their album?
Given this is the first song of theirs I've really dissected, I'm pretty pleased. There's a constant in their voices and structure, plus one can really dig the R&B mixed with a dance-focused chorus. Everyone from the group turns in a good performance which is great to see. I would say that if this was from a new group, I think I'd be more hyped about the consistency of the song. But since it's from an older one, they don't get that benefit. Still, "Bet Bet" is a very solid track and another mark on the careers NU'EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment