July 16, 2019

[Review] DAY6 - Time Of Our Life

Here we go, I'm actually reviewing a song that I put in a teaser post. DAY6 earning this honor is perhaps fitting seeing their high levels of consistency across their entire discography. And considering how (a) I've enjoyed listening to bands since I was in middle school and (b) my two sisters blast the ever-living shit out of their library, it's hard to not like them. With their coming to a concert near me in September, this new release is what we all need to hold out until then.

So the teaser was not misleading at all: this is an anime opening performed by a band. From the sweet instrumental intro, to the bits of English, and the chanting / cheering between chorus and verse, Japan would be proud. Speaking of English, this is an example of what an appropriate amount of English would look like when used so scarcely. Hopefully, I won't have to keep talking about English usage because I'm sounding like a broken record at this point. I kinda wish the instruments were toned down a little during the chorus so we could hear their exciting voices better but I suppose it all fits the narrative.

My greatest fear from the teaser - or from any DAY6 song really - is that Brian will be "forced" to rap somewhere and ruin everything. Thankfully this was not the case and it's been a while since I've had to suffer through one of the ol' JYP garbage rap (not including Stray Kids, those boys are legit). Here's hoping they continue with that trend going forward AKA forever. Besides, listen to that man sing! He's a quality support vocalist and that counts for double since they're all responsible for their instruments too. Plus who needs a rap in a song that could function as an anime intro? Even the music video looks like it was ripped out of some high school anime. Wait a minute, this is an idea...
This is DAY6, rocking out with an upbeat song (without a shitty rap) that could slide into any anime opening and work well. What's there to not like? They have always proven their instrumental talent, and composition skills too. "Time Of Our Life" is having the time of its life, being another jewel added to the treasure box this band owns. It's lighthearted, carefree, and invigorating - immediately a contender for best tracks of the year. Did I mention there's no rap?

No comments:

Post a Comment