March 8, 2020

[Review] Bolbbalgan4 - Galaxy (Throwback)

My long-needed music library update has started and I do these in alphabetical order so Bolbbalgan4 enjoyed a significant boost of additions to my iPod. They might not be categorized as like indie or anything, but they certainly were under my radar (outside of songs "Some" and "Workaholic"). The iTunes update is a necessary remedy to that notion. As such we'll take a look at one of their earliest smash hits.

Bolbbalgan4 have cemented themselves as one of the ultimate feel-good music groups out there, and this was true back in 2016. Jiyoung's voice is eternally soothing to listen to, and Jiyoon provides some underappreciated harmonies during the chorus. Based on their vocal gifts, Bol4's discography is a great listen for just about any season, any weather, any day. "Galaxy" certainly fits the mold of a warm summer afternoon or evening song for sure, what with the lyrics mentioning being a pilot and all (that makes sense right? I think of flying under some sunny weather).

The rap segment was unexpected! Perhaps this is not as uncommon as I may have anticipated - after all I only really listened to two prior Bol4 songs - but as far as a first impression goes, Jiyoon put in a solid performance. Since she is always in the backseat to Jiyoung, having a rap verse showing off her deeper voice was a fantastic treat.

As I added more and more of their music, it became clear that Bolbbalgan4 simply don't have many bad songs. "Galaxy" is absolutely beautiful with their own craft, though I don't think it's as good as "Workaholic" yet. Definitely a fitting song considering I'll be flying tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment