March 25, 2020

[Review] iKON - My Type (Revisited)

Through a fine-tuned random number generator (AKA asking my sister for a sequence of numbers), this next revisit will be of iKON's debut single "My Type." Since then they've amassed a large compilation of tracks, released subunit / collaborations, and lost a member. Let's see how well their first official track holds up after five years. Rather than repeat post the music video, I figure it'd be at least more interesting to link a live performance of some kind instead. So here we go.
  • Originally the Team B that lost to Winner, this set of trainees had to wait an extra year before their debut with "Welcome Back." While a year is certainly a long time, iKON had to be careful to not be similar to their now-sunbaes, but maybe the YG flag would be enough to give them (more than) a pass regardless.
You know, this statement about not being like Winner made a lot of sense when I wrote it, but with how these groups played out...did it really matter? Both groups have had their ups and downs, their bops and flops, consistency and controversy. In reality, the fact that they spawned from the same survival show probably was a benefit to each side of the scale, in a way.
  • "My Type" has smooth written all over it. The song isn't too slow or too fast. It hits the elusive sweet spot and you can hear the hip-hop (or is that R&B?) resonating in the background even if the main vocals are slower. The iKON voices aren't too bad, and I do appreciate the fact that they cure rapper syndrome right away by giving Bobby and B.I the chorus.
Indeed, the pace of "My Type" was nice and everyone got to contribute vocals-wise. Rapper syndrome is something that YG has never really struggled with (whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate) so I should not have been surprised hearing Bobby sing some lines.
  • Not sure who the main vocalist of this group is, but Junhoe should comprise that role. He has a voice full of depth and it's not as high-pitched as the others. Out of both the trainee groups, his voice is the most interesting and has the most potential.
True, true, and true again. Junhoe's voice is delightfully unique with its quality and he's showcased his range and talent since 2015. Go him.
  • Perhaps the influence of his non-iKON appearances have overwhelmed me, but Bobby's rap was pretty forgettable. Now obviously this song can't be put in the same realm as his Show Me The Money performances or "Born Hater" but I definitely was expecting more from him. His voice reminds of G-Dragon but he's (a) got a higher voice and (b) simply not as good as his sunbae / mentor. Oh, and that part at 3:00. Never again. Never. Again.
Bobby's rap here could be argued as his worst outing in iKON's discography. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a good fit for the song. Based on the slower pace, an appropriately slower rap was needed and that's pretty much what he and B.I delivered. And yeah, the cringe bridge line is really, really bad. I wish I could erase that garbage from my memory. I'm not gonna bother with anything I said about the MV because honestly who gives a fuck.
  • I would still call this song the little brother of "Empty" by Winner though. I just can't shake the feeling of familiarity from my head no matter how many times I listen to either. Not to say this is a bad resemblance, as "Empty" was an excellent track. Decent vocals and a decent set of raps equal a decent song, naturally. In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty average debut that will be bolstered heavily by the YG name.
Okay what? How in the world did I find "My Type" and "Empty" in the same hemisphere? Perhaps the tempo of both songs are similar, but no no no no no "Empty" is a much more complete track and has far less weaknesses. See it's these moments that make the revisits so much fun because I get to see how much of a small brain I was. I mean, I still am small brained in 2020 but getting to laugh at my past self is always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment