October 9, 2018

[Review] Yuri - Into You

Welcome to Season 9. I feel that with a two week break in the blog it's time to usher in yet another new season. I had / have other pieces nearly ready to go but felt that Season 9 should start with a full song review. This will be edited later with new banners but basically there will only be: introduction, review, and verdict. No score or artist-related images either, because I've gotten tired and lazy of needing them every song. Plus I have less time now what with long work hours and other responsibilities. Previously I've kept a rough count on words per review - something magnified in Blitz pieces - but will be abolishing that moving forward. If I feel like I'm done writing for the post, then I'm done. Not gonna worry about consistency in volume too much. Blitz reviews may end as a result but for now undecided. That's enough chatter let's get to the song.

Yuri starts us off with her solo debut. I wanted one desperately back when my love for SNSD was still super strong but when it was announced (feels like a month ago) my feelings were indifferent. My main concern was that they'd make her sing the song in a pitch she isn't good with. Thankfully that opening washed away those fears. Yuri was always heralded as a dance queen so that type of music and instrumental is right up her alley.

Unfortunately, that's really the end of all the positive takeaways. The song itself is very bland, and that one line in the chorus is repeated ad nauseam and I was really hoping at some point there'd be a change but no. Yuri has become a solid support vocalist throughout the years, so I expected a little more from her vocals-wise. The bridge attempts to make up for the chorus' deficiencies but we're immediately brought back to it after that and a light dance break. I feel that other solo debuts like Taeyeon and even Yoona brought more personality whereas "Into You" is kinda just...there. The MV is gorgeous and she really is the Black Pearl of Kpop but it's nothing worth fantasizing over. Is it a good song? I guess, but is something that repetitive and boring really what you want? From a solo debut no less?
If you've been waiting for a Yuri solo for a long time, you might feel like I do. On one hand, I'm glad she's finally getting a chance to shine - and with a song that frames her voice perfectly no less. But on the other, nothing about "Into You" is memorable and honestly the bland chorus takes out all the wind in the sail. Maybe it needs more time to grow, but for now it rests on the lower half of Girls' Generation's various solo efforts. The completionist in me would've loved to see a Sooyoung and Sunny solo while the former was still signed under SME. It could happen now but I feel back then was their best chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment