March 5, 2019

[Bonus] The Late Report: February 2019

You know what it is: time for the February edition of The Late Report. Since I only reviewed one song during last month (...I'm not too proud of that) there should be some solid selections for show (fuck yeah alliteration).
Loco - It's Been A While (feat. Zion.T)
Since he's heading to military service, Loco gave us a present to remember him by with a good ol' friend in Zion.T. "It's Been A While" is relaxing and showcases Loco's rap-singing with Zion.T's usual smooth vocals. Many of these artists under AOMG have really consistent discographies and Loco is no different. His previous collab with Hwasa was a similar magical R&B treat.
9MUSES - Remember (Special Gift)
Kinda awkward to have this farewell song be the same title as their 2017 release but at least the name is appropriate. This 2019 "Remember" is nowhere near the same quality as the 2017 song but as the finale to the 9MUSES act I had to include it here. Perhaps ironically (or maybe bittersweet), the two newest muses of Keumjo and Sojin put in the best performance here. The former has sounded the best I've ever heard since her inclusion to the group, while the latter turned in another solid rap. Once again the 9MUSES curse reigns because I think Sojin could've continued to climb up the ranks as a female rapper. Anyway this is a beautiful song for a less beautiful ending to 9MUSES.
Jason Derulo, Lay, NCT 127 - Let's Shut Up & Dance
I haven't been following much of EXO, so I didn't know Lay still existed. But my sister drew my attention toward this collaboration and it's something special. The actual song isn't anything special - save for the usual Jason Derulo magic, and Lay got to sing some English too. Of course, the focal point is the choreography. And hooooly shit this is powerful. There's so much going on, I love it. Much like the global artistic beauty of Loona's "Butterfly," the worldwide army of dancers seen in this MV is fantastic. With a pretty basic series of lyrics, the video and dancers get you more hype than the actual song itself, which looks to be by design.
Dreamcatcher - Piri
Dreamcatcher has done it again! Another heavy mixture between rock, pop, and dance. I wasn't a fan of the actual piri but it's damn addicting and spliced in expertly. The English is also a little suspect but since "Piri" might be the worst offender of their seven title tracks since the rebrand, I'm willing to let it go. Gahyeon surprised me (and many others I'm sure) with her little rap sequence, mostly because I expected Dami to do all the rapping. Plus her charisma wasn't bad at all. Siyeon again leads the vocal charge with great supporting efforts from SuA, JiU, etc. Apparently though this time will be the last installment of this genre? Please for the love of Kpop don't go do some aegyo pop bullshit. PLEASE. The rest of the Kpop girl groups are counting on you to keep being unique and awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment